hard drive gone?

bat

Cold Fury
so i took out everything from my computer today to put back in the stock heatsink and now my hard drive randomly doesnt work. it worked earlier today before i took everything apart and i have all the cables plugged in right? is it dead now or what?

bat said:
so i took out everything from my computer today to put back in the stock heatsink and now my hard drive randomly doesnt work. it worked earlier today before i took everything apart and i have all the cables plugged in right? is it dead now or what?
Describe "doesn't work". Are you getting BSOD, reboots, or no HD activity at all? Also have you double check cables?

gah i'm so frustrated right now. like it doesn't show up at all in My Computer. I just got done taking out all the cables and putting them back in and this slave drive won't do anything.

double check jumper setting/ cables. and you did remeber to plug the power in right?

get the manufacture's diagnostic utility and run it. IT will tell you if its well or not most of the time

can i download it from western digitals site? i can't find anything

It could be that you are not hooking up the cables right you say windows does not see it , what about in the bios ? Can you see anything from there ?

try plugging the disk alone and try the diagnostic on it offline

in the bios is it there? also in the bios is it set to auto for both the primary and secondary channels? make sure they are both on auto. also make sure the jumpers are correct on the drive and on the other devices on that channle.

also when you turn the computer on have your hand on the drive some how if you can and see if you can feel it spin up. if not then power problem or dead drive. if it does spin up. better chance it is a config problem

once bios is set, right click on the my computer icon. then properties, once you are in that window click on the hardware tab at the top. then there is a button called device manager. go in there, once in there you should see a secton called disk drives. expand it and see how many are in there.

and im sorry if i am confising i have been up for 37 hours so far

The drive itself doesnt show up in bios. i'm so lost right now. all i did was unplug the cable that connects into the motherboard itself and replace the heatsink. i didn't change any jumper settings or anything. It worked perfectly fine until I took out motherboard and did the stuff today. I tried clearing the cmos(if that would even do anything) on this gigabyte board and now i'm getting errors out the wazoo. also i can feel it spinning

ok take adeep breath im a little sauced so fogive the mistyping.

first thing yuo need to do is wait1-2hours i know this sounds funny but trust me sometimes things just start working agaih long enough to get your data off.. I allways though it resulted in heat but correct me if im wrong. If your drive isnt showing up in bios and yuo have checked jumper setting/ (cable select sucks change it to what it is) cords and power then the drive is on its way out. do you have enoug room on others to back up the data?

i dont have room for anything on any other drives. how could i even get data off the thing if its not even being reconized?

Last edited:
i just tried another drive and either i have 2 dead drives or something is @%(&@#

i fixed it. turns out my ide cable was bad the last thing i could think of as i finally calmed down. thank you EVERYONE for the help as always :)

Good to see you got it fixed. Always best to check the simple stuff 1st. ;)

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back