hard drive copy/data move...

mlakrid

OSNN BASSMASTER
Political Access
Ok I know this is the applications section, so the title probably sounds like its in the wrong place, but its NOT... I promise...:up:

I finally got my new power supply in and now itws time to move the old PSU out, install the new one, and get ready to RAID my 2 raptors...

Heres what I want:

A striped RAID for the performance, with my 250GB partitioned to keep a copy of the RAID, and the remainder for storage for video, mp3s, mpegs etc, anything NOT associatred with the OS or games I use alot...

SO.. I want to keep all the drivers, patches and any/all info on the games i have in the folders on a new location so that I can slate the original raptor, RAID the 2 raptors in a striped RAID as I mentioned earlier.

What I am looking for is a free or low cost program which I could use to burn the image of the drive I have now onto the Large HDD I will install tonight...

I AM NOT HIJACKING ANOTHER THREAD... I just couldnt find one of the others where you all were talking about the copying software previously...

THANKS everyone!

EDIT: Also; if anyone has the P4C-800E and has used the promise controller (to RAID), I could use a POC for when I run into problems with the Promise RAID controller, because everything I have read says it is not the easiest thing to do for this board.

I personally would recommend Norton Ghost for imaging, however there are others out there. A lot of people on this forum don't like Ghost, and will probably blast it, but I have used it for years and never ran into any problems which forced me to take on another application.

kcnychief said:
I personally would recommend Norton Ghost for imaging, however there are others out there. A lot of people on this forum don't like Ghost, and will probably blast it, but I have used it for years and never ran into any problems which forced me to take on another application.

I have norton ghost (I have to find it, Im still unpacking), and I wasnt sure if it would allow me to create my partitions and then ghost the image from one drive to the other...??

EDIT: I know it will allow me to copy the data, what I mean is without having an exact copy as from Drive C: to Drive J: (or whatever drive it comes up as)

mlakrid said:
I have norton ghost (I have to find it, Im still unpacking), and I wasnt sure if it would allow me to create my partitions and then ghost the image from one drive to the other...??

Absolutely. You can create all the partitions on your disk you want, and then select a disk to disk copy from within Ghost, which brings over the entire disk.

Attachments

• ghost.JPG
    ghost.JPG
    42.3 KB · Views: 80
KC: THanks.. Reps + ... last question, after I get my RAID up and running, is it possible to use ghost as the back-up software?

Everyone else: without bashing Ghost what else can you all recommend?
This is time sensitive, because I want to have this done ASAIGH...

mlakrid said:
KC: THanks.. Reps + ... last question, after I get my RAID up and running, is it possible to use ghost as the back-up software?

Everyone else: without bashing Ghost what else can you all recommend?
This is time sensitive, because I want to have this done ASAIGH...

I'm surprised I was able to figure out what ASAIGH means, heh.

Here is a document on Ghost and RAID:

http://service1.symantec.com/SUPPORT/ghost.nsf/docid/1999010613522725?Open&src=sg&docid=2002092510522725&nsf=ghost.nsf&view=8f7dc138830563c888256c2200662ecd/dfb4b017218165c088256c3f00622fae?opendocument&prod=norton%20ghost&ver=2003%20for%20windows%202000/nt/me/98&dtype=&prod=Norton%20Ghost&ver=2003%20for%20Windows%202000/NT/Me/98/XP&osv=&osv_lvl

I feel Acronis True Image is the best solution for transfering data from one to another, or creating images ..

kcnychief said:

It works great !

Good luck mlakrid.

Mastershakes said:
It works great !

Good luck mlakrid.

NO luck needed, all the files I want to keep are already burned to CD-roms.. I just didnt want to have to try and burn all my vids/music and game patches...

:)

THanks though!

:laugh:

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back