• This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn more.

Hard drive clone of some kind

Krux

Nissan Powered
I'm looking for some software that will let me create and restore an image of a hard drive i have partition magic but im not sure if the copy drive option is what im looking for if I did copy the drive to another drive would that drive be bootable? Anyways some help would be nice, thanks guys.

ming

OSNN Advanced
Norton Ghost maybe what you're looking for.
I've imaged a parition before, but not a whole drive so not too sure if there is a difference there.
The imaged partition (when restored) is bootable as it contained all the boot files and stuff in it.

Krux

Nissan Powered
I dont know if I have a recent enough version around this dump that supports windows xp do you know of any that have like a free trial or somthing I cant justify the price tag to back up and restore one time only.

Krux

Nissan Powered
i cant seem to get the imaged drive to work I thinking cuzz its smaller in physical size then the other. but its big enough to fit everything I want to move over. any other sugestions?

Ded Morozh

I don't DISlike you...
Krux said:
i cant seem to get the imaged drive to work I thinking cuzz its smaller in physical size then the other. but its big enough to fit everything I want to move over. any other sugestions?
FYI

essentially what the imaged drive is for, is to reload the image onto the same computer. if you're trying to use it to swap the drive to a second computer, it's not going to work at all. as far as size goes, the drive that holds the image only needs to be roughly 1/3 of the size of the drive you're making the image of. also, in my experience, the drive that is holding the image has to be an actual second drive, not a partion of the drive that you're imaging.

I've used True Image and Ghost (current choice is Ghost). both are very easy IMO.

Krux

Nissan Powered
im not trying to copy windows to another computer i know that wont work I'm tryoing to copy windows to a new hard drive for the same computer and i cant get it to work in other words new hard drive same computer want to keep same information as last hard drive then ditch it.

Krux if the drives are WD then use their utility disk. I copy my partitions to the upgrade disk about avery 6 months. And make bootable backups regularly. It even lets you resize the partitions downward if necessary.

I've had mediocre results with Partition Magic and Ghost. Sometimes windows will not recognize the new disk.

Warning: Once the copy is made never boot with the new and old system disk installed at the same time. When I did this windows tromped on the track 0 and made one or both unusable. I had to do a track 0 restore (from the WD boot disk).

I have a zipped copy posted in a recent post on OSNN for someone else if you need to burn a floppy or bootaable CD. I'll go find the link to the files.

Krux

Nissan Powered
I worked it out since the new drive was smaller I had to just use partition magic and make the old one the same size cuzz it wouldn't copy right when one was bigger then the other. thanks for the help guys.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Hello, is there anybody in there? Just nod if you can hear me ...
Xie
What a long strange trip it's been. =)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Pdawgintown