hard drive and dvd+rw drive issues - need help

heyjude85023

OSNN Newbie
sorry this will be long. i have wound up where no analyst wants to be: too many variables so i need help.

i have a dell latitude cpxh, 500mhz. i purchased it in 2000 used from a corp. it came with a 12gb hdd. because of issues i was having, sunday i installed a 60gb hdd (new hard drive, more space).

everything went smoothly. fresh install of w2k pro, then installed backup to get office and other applications using norton ghost 9.0. (all non-program files are kept on an extra hard drive module.)

now even though i show that i have @48gb free space on the c: if i try to copy a 4.3gb from the g: to the c: i get an error that i don't have enough disk space. from what i have read, that is because the c: is fat32 and that doesn't support files larger than 4gb. if this is true, the solution i saw posted was:

To convert:

Start * Run * cmd
Press enter.
convert c: /fs:ntfs
Press enter.
Answer yes. Answer yes. Reboot. Get a cup of coffee. Make that two.

You'll have NTFS now.

if i do this, will i then need to reformat the drive and reinstall windows? will i need to do anything else?

second part of the problem. when i try to move the 4.3gb backup file to a dvd (dvd+rw nec nd6650a) i get an error after @5 mins that the disk in the drive is protected and i need to unprotect it or use a different disk. now my new coaster shows free space of 7tb. no that is not a misprint, it is TB. what the heck is a "tb"? technical byte?

any idea why this is happening? it has happened a couple of times now in the last month or so when i have tried to copy/move large amounts of data. say over 500mb.

third and final (i hope). it appears from what i have read that it may not have been my hard drive at all that started all of this. i had installed roxio easy media creator 7.5 several months ago when i installed the dvd rw drive. because i was unhappy with emc, i tried to uninstall it. that is when my problems started now that i look back on it. lots of "blue screen of death" episodes. while researching why i couldn't copy the 4gb+ backup file to the disk, i came across the exact same blue screen i was getting in a discussion on issues with roxio emc 7.5. i read lots of nasty user reviews on this software. all of the same issues i was having now. wish i had seen it before i bought it, but what would be a better application to use? if i uninstall it completely, i can't use my dvd rw drive.

at this point i am so tired and so confused, and i need help.

while i would like the answer about the fat32 to ntfs, i think i am more concerned at the moment about why i can't copy this file to the dvd.

thank you for your reply and offer of further help. i am checking out the links you provided, i need to take it slow now because i am so tired. :dead:

i have been working on this for a while...

no more flinging the dvd's across the room, i promise. lol

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back