Hard disk speeds, will u see a diffrence?

R

Red Arrow

Ok I am thinking of getting a new hard drive for Xmas and have noticed that there are now 7200 RPM speed hard drives compared to the normal 5400 RPM that most shops still sell.

Should I fork out the extra money to get a faster hard drive or is it point-less? I mean will I see any diffrence in computer performance if I get a faster one.

If it were 10800 RPM u would notice a diffrence, but a 1800 RPM increase is not a lot.

Built a few machines in my time and it really depends on the make as much as the speed. The ultimate is an IBM deskstar while the pits is the likes of excelstore and western digital. Spend a sensible amount of money and you should be ok.

I have used a lot of IBM deskstars and they just keep breaking and are so noisy .... :(

I have sent them back, get a replacement , 2 months later "click , Click , click "

they are terrible ...

I now use maxtor 7200rpm and not a problem since

Funny, Had a few maxtors do exactly what you just described, must be down to personal experience.

thoughts....

IBM deskstars are great drives, but, like any drive, can have their share of problems...a perfect example of which is that IBM is currently being sued over the Deskstar 75GXP...they work fine for some people, but enough people have had enough problems with drive failure and important data loss due to design flaws in that drive, that IBM is being sued over it. Also, I differ on that IBM Deskstar's are the best...I'll take a Seagate Barracuda drive over IBM any day of the week (in fact...I did!) I have a 60gig Seagate Barracuda as my C: drive (OS, apps and games) and twin Maxtor 40gig (ATA100) drives on a RAID card for digital video. I also have twin maxtor 30gig drives in my other video editing machine, and I happen to love the Maxtor drives. Never had problems with them...fast, sturdy, relatively quiet and a great price to boot. (btw - twin EIDE 7200rpm ATA100 drives on a RAID card (stripe) is faster than scsi (solo) and cheaper to set up as well)

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back