Hard disk error.

Glaanieboy

OSNN Veteran Addict
I got two harddisks in my system. Both they are divided in 2 partitions, C and E for harddisk 1 (on IDE 0) and D, F and I for harddisk 2 (on IDE 1). I am getting more and more crashes lately and it seems that one of the disks is the cause. In the event viewer I found this:
The driver detected a controller error on \Device\Harddisk0\D.
Does that mean the harddisk where partition D is has an error?

dunno, it could be a DMA error, might be driver related, if the drive was failing you would expect errors off all partitions on that drive, not just one of em. you could try the chkdsk /r command on the drive, it may allow you to dismount the volume and do it from windows, but its normally a reboot job. otherwise get the test disk for the drive and run that to check for errors and a possible low level format to cure any bugs.

I already did that, but no errors popped up. Let's see what happens. I have looked further in the EV and I also saw 2 ATAPI errors:
A parity error was detected on \Device\Ide\IdePort0
The latest ATAPI error dated two days ago, but my computer crashed last nigh at about 3 am with a disk error. Can it be dying?

Hmm, I should probably take it out (not that difficult, it's in a bracket) and see how the system performs.

I have a MSI 6309 board with a VIA chipset. I have installed the latest VIA hyperion drivers (4.51) and I believe the IDE driver is included in there. I have checked the EV and I saw the first disk error popped up at Dec 11th, 2003, so maybe there could be an error in the drivers. Thanks for pointing that out ;)

No, spoke too fast, I haven't got the latest drivers, I have 4.46 installed instead. I am updating them now, I'll just have to keep an eye on it for the next weeks.

i used to get errors running UDMA mode 6 with old via drivers, had to run it UDMA 5 till i got a decent driver release.

I installed the new drivers at the time I posted my last reply and I haven't got any errors since. :)

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back