Hard Disk Cooling - Why?

C

Crucial

Hello people,

I'v just been having a browse of Scan Computers.

http://www.scan.co.uk/todayonly/index.htm

They have a 'Icy Dock IDE Racks' what would be the advantage of cooling your hard drive, realistically. Do any of you bother?

I'm also considering getting a new case, things in my room are always running a bit hot, my PC included. I 'don't' want to spend £150, £100 at tops. What do people recommend?

Cheers and beers.

Originally posted by catch23
I wouldn't bother with a big expensive rack...I have a cheap cooling device, which mounts to my hard drive, and has two 40mm fans blowing down onto it...it keeps it cool enough.

And the advantage of having the H/D's cooled? Longativaty of life? Peace of mind? Run out of other things to upgrade? I looking for a 'you should consider cooling your H/D's if...' or 'its well worth it because ....' or even 'don't waste you money on that, have you considered....'

:D

Its unproven but coooling the hdd should make it last longer. Dont bother getting one if you have a hdd that runs at 5200rpm.

To cool a hdd you dont need much. just something like a little bit of air flow over the top of the metal plate. (just like catch's, 2x 40mm fans is enough).

Ric

I don't have anything on my 5400rpm WD drive...but I do have that device on my 7200rpm Maxtor...it does get hot...and yes, I did give you advice...it's just not in a simple sentence that comes out and says "here's what you do"

Sorry, was just looking for both advice and an explination. I wan't meaning to give offence. Your replys along with everyone else's appreciated.

I don't have anything on my 5400rpm WD drive...but I do have that device on my 7200rpm Maxtor...it does get hot...and yes, I did give you advice...it's just not in a simple sentence that comes out and says "here's what you do"

Sorry, was just looking for both advice and an explination. I wan't meaning to give offence. Your replys along with everyone else's appreciated.

5400rpm drive----no need for hdd cooler
7200rpm-----start considering
10000rpm/15000rpm-------definitely get a cooler

simple explanation heat=bad for components:)

I'd say:
5400 - no way
7200 - only if REALLY hot
2x7200 - if they are put together, yes you should cool

Yea. for anything over 7200rpm.. you should really get cooling . I have two Maxtor D740X ATA133 drives, and they do get hot. I have a 80mm fan sat directly infront of them sucking cool air in straight over them, they still get warm.. but the heat gets blown away quickly, I can rest easy. :D

120mm - overkill perhaps.....

I have two Quantum 40g 7200rpm drives in Raid 0 and two other drives running off the MB that are also 7200 RPM. I have one 120mm fan blowing directly across the two in raid and another one sitting in front of my 5 1/4 bay sucking air over the two other drives....then I have a 90mm blowing in the middle of my cd-roms.....then I have a 120mm cut out on the top of my case and it is sucking air in.....oh and I have a 60mm on my vid card and a 90mm blowing in from the back.....so everything goes up up and away....yes, I had too much time on my hands, extra fans, and a gift certificate for Home Depot...for power tools.......

:D

Hax

oh, and I have a little switch on the front of my case than can have all of these fans either at 12v, 6v or off.....(think I got that right)....

mind you dont get a negative air flow.. (too much sucking in.. in & outs should be equal..with out slightly more than in)

Re: 120mm - overkill perhaps.....

Originally posted by HaxCode
then I have a 90mm blowing in the middle of my cd-roms.....
You cool your cd-roms? That's overkill. And you should really get more blow (out) than suck (in). Better blow out the hot air then just mix in cold air.

120mm at top runs faster than the rest......more goes out than in....I'm an Engineer-to-be so I kinda figured the total CFM myself :-D

Hax

soooo...

If I had 2 10,000 SCSI RAID-0 drives you are saying that a cooler for them would be unnecessary? I have a server that runs my web/ftp experiements for work and I have both drives cooled with a nice little 80mm fan blowing accross them from the front of the case.......

Hax

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back