HALO Performance

V

Vorpal

Man, HALO ran like arse on my system (which is saying something - I'm not super high end but good lord). At 1024x768x32 I was getting slideshows early on.

From everything I've read it seems the port was botched a little bit. The Xbox has no real video memory - only shared memory and many people are thinking they never got the whole video interface correctly changed over to the PC world.

AA is disabled in game and doesn't really worked, but I turned it off and Ansio as well.

The biggest performance booster was turning off shadows - major boost which made the game pretty playable at 1024x768x32

Any other performance tips ---> I'd love to here them (except that forced pixel shader version crap - I'm not down with that).

BTW - I never played the Xbox version. I'm really loving this game. For some reason it's just 'fun' to play so far.

2500+ Barton
512MB DDR-333
ATI 9700-PRO

yes its total crap, Nuff said! very bad port and they had Years to sort these performance problems out.

Hats of to the BETA team, Bunch of fricken Arse clowns!! and that goes to those gits at Microsoft QA and development too, (Krux take hint)

as soon as the silver M$ game studios intro kicked in I knew this game wouldn't run well
it looked absolutely naff

such a shame it looks like a really good game
not quite good enough to invest in new hardware though
multi player is even worse
I cant a decent game unless I host

adsl 512
P4 1.6
Ti 4200
768 ddr

if thats not good enough they can stick it

:-(

Hmmmmm..I dont know. This guy on another forum is running a 9700pro with latest catalyst and saids there are no textures on the models when he play. Another person said the game gives a incompatible driver error warning but when he goes in its fine.:confused:

Runs like a dream on my system - I have no problems whatsoever. Great game too, in my opinion :)

2.0aGhz Northwood P4
Abit SA7
512mb 333 DDR
GeForce 4 MX440SE

Originally posted by Unleashed
Runs like a dream on my system - I have no problems whatsoever. Great game too, in my opinion :)

2.0aGhz Northwood P4
Abit SA7
512mb 333 DDR
GeForce 4 MX440SE

Yeah... despite any problems with it, it really is fun to play.

Those little alien voices crack me up too.
"bad guy!"
"grenade!"
"ouch!"

the game runs fine on my ocmputer.
p4 2.0
768 ram
9500pro

at 1024x768x32 all the settings on high.

BTW - there's one other problem I've noticed.

On console FPS games the Field Of View is much more narrow that on a PC game (because of limited graphics power and the fact that console gamers are much further back from the TV).

If you play a lot of PC FPS games, you might have noticed a kind of "tunnel vision" feeling like it do with HALO.

They definetly did not change the FOV when porting the game which is a massive mistake or oversight. I can't see a way to change this.....

Normal PC FOV is usually 90. HALO feels like maybe 10-15 less...

Originally posted by Flatbeat_Eddy
yes its total crap, Nuff said! very bad port and they had Years to sort these performance problems out.

Hats of to the BETA team, Bunch of fricken Arse clowns!! and that goes to those gits at Microsoft QA and development too, (Krux take hint)

you know what don't try to blame your performance on me or microsoft its not my fault your system can't handle the game and we didn't have years to work on it either we had 6 months SIX

-edited for content-

The game is far from 'crap', in all honesty its one of the best releases on pc this year. Yes it was hyped, and the fact it came out so long ago on xbox means that its nothing new.

It runs fine on my computer with no problems at all.

If you say it runs like 'arse' then its not the game, its the way you play it. By that i mean graphics setup (whether your trying to use AA/AF or not) or its the version of the game you have.

Its an enjoyable game to play that alot of work was put into, as i said, its far from being 'crap'.

Originally posted by Chris
The game is far from 'crap', in all honesty its one of the best releases on pc this year. Yes it was hyped, and the fact it came out so long ago on xbox means that its nothing new.

It runs fine on my computer with no problems at all.

If you say it runs like 'arse' then its not the game, its the way you play it. By that i mean graphics setup (whether your trying to use AA/AF or not) or its the version of the game you have.

Its an enjoyable game to play that alot of work was put into, as i said, its far from being 'crap'.

Normally with my system (2500+ Barton / 9700-Pro) I play all games at 1024x768x32 w/ x16 Ansio and x4 FSAA. Every game I've ever played runs silky smooth on my system like that.

With HALO I've actually taken it down to 800x600x32 and turned shadows off. AA and AF are also turned off in my drivers right now.

example: with no shadows AA or AF on a 2500+ Barton/9700-PRO at a sad 800x600:

(I get these framerates on UT2003 at 1280x1024 with x4FSAA and x16Ansio..... ).

wait -> let me example that

HALO @ 800x600 /no shadows ...... Equals the framerate of
UT2003 @ 1280x1024 w/ x4aa x16af

800x600x32 = 15360000 bits
1280x1024x32 = 41943040 bits (plus FSAA and AF and shadows)

-edited for content-

Well, I have a GeForce 2 (yes, two..2) 1GHz Athlon and 512mb of DDR and it runs fine here, If anyone complains that it runs badly on their machine... you have problems :p , only problem I have is with the audio, but that's something that's been happening in all games recently *goes off to mess with drivers*

funny, my room mate runs it at 1280x1024 with full detail cept shadows and hes runs smooth. I also have a friend who has the same rig and he runs it at 1024x768 with full detail and it works fine for him also. when he first installed it it ran like crap because it had been about 6 months since his last format, so he did and whoa!! it ran fine after. it also runs fine on my pc.

-edited for content-

Audio has been my big performance issue with Halo. When you enable hardware acceleration (because it sounds so great in 5.1 surround!) you get no background music. :(

Oh yeah, disabling specular effects and shadows helps a LOT.

no flaming please

lets keep this topic civil

thank you

2z

this whole thread is flame bate it needs to be closed or remade to be more specific like "how do I improve performance in halo" not let flame halo and the ppl who helped make it.

thread currently being pruned and will promptly be reopened...

thread has now been reopened with minor pruning for flamebait and language...

please keep it civil people...

language and flamebait of this kind is not exactly constructive...

since I am hoping tips for performance enhancement for the game will come out... the thread has been reopened for discussion...

no warez please...

An audio fix for most people (including me) is to switch resolutions to 800x600.

I have NO IDEA why it works - very odd.

example: at 1024x768 I hear no menu mouse-over sounds at all. If I switch to 800x600 - I hear the menu sounds.

In game some people have sounds that cut off and are totally missing. Switching to 800x600 seems to have fixed this for a lot of people.

(just rechecked that and it's bunk... doesn't work all the time. I think the vid restard from changing resolutions may also restart the audio and sometimes get it working if it wasn't already)

:p In all fairness, as with many games HALO seems to run much better on NVIDIA cards.

Originally posted by Krux
seems to run fine on both my 4600 and my 9700pro

Use FRAPS and get a second by second frame rate dump... By "fine" you mean it never dips below 30fps at 1024x768? I want to see the system that does that. There are a few locations where my FPS rate dropped to 5 when I was playing at 1024x768.

One thing I've been noticing lately is heavy HD access. It seems to do a lot of loading while in game - espically when you first get into a game.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back