Half-life Source?

ray_gillespie

OSNN Veteran Addict
Political Access
Has anyone here ever played the Source version of Half-life? I love half-life and I'm thinking about playing through once more (first time since HL2 came out) but I don't know if it's worth paying $10 for the Source version or just playing the updated regular Steam version?
The Source version is obviously a lot better looking than the original non-steam version of HL but how much better is it than the steam version?
Reps for good advice... :)

Its the same thing as before with a few changes to water effects and thats about it.

I would wait for the black mesa mod which actually uses the source engine.

-edit- I am not sure now, re-reading everything, if we are talking about the same thing.

Sazar said:
Its the same thing as before with a few changes to water effects and thats about it.

I would wait for the black mesa mod which actually uses the source engine.

-edit- I am not sure now, re-reading everything, if we are talking about the same thing.

Yeah I think you've got what I meant. So essentially there are 3, soon to be 4 versions of HL?

1) Original CD-ROM version
2) Steam version, with updated textures and models
3) HL Source (via Steam) with new water effects
4) This Black Mesa thing

If that's correct, then I'll wait for this Black Mesa mod, when I heard about HL Source I thought it was gonna be HL in the HL2 engine so I was disappointed to see it's nothing really like that. If the Black Mesa mod turns out to be HL in the HL2 engine then that will be superb. I'm off to investigate! Cheers for the replies.

I never played hl1 before source because I didn't get into pc gaming till a few months ago. Played through the whole thing in about a week. Great game but I never played non-source so I'm not the best person to be comparing the two :lick:. eh well just wanted to throw my two cents in.

Sindustrial777

Did you play HL after HL2, or have you got the best yet to come? :)

Half Life Source has changes in gameplay as well as effects. For example in the beginning when you have to jump across a bunch of crates hanging by cables. In HL they are stationary even when you jump on them but in HL Source they tilt and swing when you step on them.

Another change is in Source your combat rifle has kickback when you fire and the other weapons do too in some degree.

There are other changes as well.

Yeah I played hl2 and HL1:S. I finished HL1:S while I was saving up for a graphics card for HL2 :lick:

That TOC does look damn good. Shame its going to take so long :) i'm impatient

Just finished playing a preview level of Lost Coast. Incredible graphics with water that shines on the surface and after going through a tunnel and coming back into the sunlight you have to squint because its so bright. Crazy. These guys at valuesoft keep raising the bar. High Dynamic Range: HDR stands for High Dynamic Range. Instead of using 8 bit values per channel, HDR uses 16 or even 32 bit values, to allow for a much greater range of colors, greater than the monitor can display at once. To display these colors, the monitor takes the brightest values that the user is viewing and makes them the brightest color the screen can display, and the darkest values that are on screen and makes them the darkest the screen can display. In this fashion, what's white from one viewpoint will be grey the next, and possibly even black from another. Freeing up the entire range of color on the display at all times results in allowing more detail, such as some stones which would be very similar with a static range but can take the entire range with HDR, allowing for bright highlights and dark shadows.

just been to the black mesa site to check it out.... looks absolutely awesome, cant wait till its released

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back