Half-Life (and other games) and Windows XP - a tweaks that help.

LPDad

OSNN Addict
Here are some things you can do to help with some of the problems we have been experiencing.
(I found this on another XP site--It is by no means the absolute solution but at least it is a start)

Half Life and Windows XP
Written By: AK | Authors Website: Visit | Views: 37746 | Print Tweak | 11/3/2001

Half-life is unplayable on XP without tweaking.

1. How to recover from incompatible drivers

Before you install new drivers set a system restore point. Start>All programs>Accessories>system tools>system restore

After your new drivers don't work reset your computer. Press F8 repeatedly as soon as the BIOS screen disappears, and before the Windows XP screen appears. Select safe mode. Use system restore again to undo your mess.

2. Video Drivers

The NVidia drivers that come with XP do not allow you to run Half Life in OpenGL. Update to the newest drivers.
Despite the fact that they are not official drivers, 22.50 was the only set which worked

3. Sound Drivers

Use windows update to update Creative drivers.

4. Fixing screen flicker

Windows XP defaults to 60Hz for games. A fix is available here:

http://www.fileplanet.com/dl/dl.asp?/planetquake/ztn/nvreffix-setup.exe

Select "set: every resolution to monitor's maximum supported rate"

5. Fixing lag

If you are having trouble with lag, try disabling the windows XP firewall. Go to control panel>network connections. Select connection, right click, properties, advanced, untick the firewall.

6. Mouse

You can improve your mouse smoothness for games.
Control panel>mouse>hardware>properties>advanced
Change the sample rate to a higher one, eg. 200

huh???

I don't understand any of it!!! All the games that XP supposely has problems with run without any on mine!!! I just install them and change the settings a little bit and done!!!

I have no problems with HL or any other games i have for that matter. Including...

Serious sam,
Rtcw
Kingpin
Red Alert 2

Etc Etc.........

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AndersonLo
Back