Half Life 2 Preload

Teddy

Boogie Nights...!
Cant believe no one has mentioned it...but it's now available for preload on Steam! :)

Wasn't this on frontpage? And people have been talking about it on IRC for the past week. :p

Also what happens for ppl that don't buy HL2 .. can they delete the HL2 pre-cache? Also what size is the cache?

You don't have to pre-load HL2 if you don't want it :)

Don't know how accurate it is but this is posted on the Steam forum

Half-Life 2 compressed is 2Gb, and right now we're all downloading a 500mgbs pre-load file. So that would mean that if half-life 2 went gold and we only had this pre-load, we still need to download 1.5Gbs, which would defeat the whole purpose of having a pre-load to free up bandwidth...

anyone know how it's gonna be activated? i've got my free copy coupon thing with my graphics card...do i still have to send that off or can i just download it with steam then use that to activate it? if i send it off it says 'allow 4-6 weeks for delivery'...there's no way i'm doing that.

Size

Xie said:
Also what happens for ppl that don't buy HL2 .. can they delete the HL2 pre-cache? Also what size is the cache?

I've been pre-loading it. It's a little over 1 gig so far. One gig or so to go apparently.

-Wrath

All Done?

Wrathchild said:
I've been pre-loading it. It's a little over 1 gig so far. One gig or so to go apparently.

-Wrath

All done dowloading apparently!

hl2.jpg

Neat

The first download was about 500 megs compressed and cached at about 1.1 gigs.
This second preload cached at about 900 megs, but its audio so most likely didn't compress very well.

macromp said:
anyone know how it's gonna be activated? i've got my free copy coupon thing with my graphics card...do i still have to send that off or can i just download it with steam then use that to activate it? if i send it off it says 'allow 4-6 weeks for delivery'...there's no way i'm doing that.

download and install steam and register the voucher through steam...the product will preload and valve will activate it when it is ready...there are posts on the steampowered.com website forums that go through this but can't find it atm...hope this helped

The coupon, when you enter the code, will also let you play Counter-strike: Source beta, which is even more files you would have needed for HL2 :p

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back