hal.dll ??

M

merle2503

Hi,
yesterday I fixed my boot.ini problem, all was fine.
Today when I start the computer it says:
Windows could not start because the following file is missing or currupt.
<windows root>\system32\hal.dll

:confused:
What does that mean? And what can I do?
When I click "Enter" the pc starts (without the hal.dll I think).
Thanks for help, Merle

Open a command window and type in 'sfc /scannow' without the quotes. This is system file checker... it will look for missing or corrupt system files and prompt you to replace what it finds missing or corrupt.

Hi Lonman,
I did it, it checked my system and nothing happened!?

That's good news then. You might want to do a couple of test boot-ups to see if it replaced anything on the sly for you... If you still get the hal.dll error then I guess you're stuck doing the repair installation.

I just went to the Microsoft Knowledge Base and type in hal.dll... it came back with a lot of articles on it. I'm trying to find something XP or NT related that might help out. A lot of folks get the error you're getting. Let me do some reading and I'll post back if/when I find something that matches the situation.

Here's an interesting article on hal (Hardware Abstraction Layer):

http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;Q314070

Did you have any shutdown problems that you had to troubleshoot and find a fix for? Is your computer ACPI compliant? Did you have to manually activate APM (Advanced Power Management) features to power your computer down? If you answer yes to any of those, then that could be at the root of your problem.

Check out the attachement and let me know what kind of computer you have by going to Control Panel> System> 'hardware' tab> 'device manager' button. Look at what's highlighted on the picture and tell me what your's is saying it is.

I did it. No problems with shutdown. Nothing highlighted in device manager! And: my computer is ACPI-PC.
Meanwhile I re-booted and booted twice and there was no hal.dll mistake. I do not understand it at all!
Merle (I have not yet read the article...)

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back