hacking the start button

S

Scooby Doo

I've had a go at hacking the start button after i saw it on here but before you can do it you have to make Explorer.exe not part of Windows File Protection. I started off by clicking start then run and typing %systemroot%system32Restore. I got a box pop up saying " Windows cannot find "C:\WINDOWSsystem32Restore". Any ideas??

Originally posted by Scooby Doo
I've had a go at hacking the start button after i saw it on here but before you can do it you have to make Explorer.exe not part of Windows File Protection. I started off by clicking start then run and typing %systemroot%system32Restore. I got a box pop up saying " Windows cannot find "C:\WINDOWSsystem32Restore". Any ideas??

thats cuz the tutorial before the posting program doesn't really like slashes

u do

%systemroot%\system32\Restore

geezz i really have to fix that , thanks inferno .... i forgot

its a setting in the PHP ini i have to adjust ....

(made a note, will fix tomorrow)

:eek:

thanks a lot for that iNFERNO, i now have a hacked start button :)

Tried the Resource Hacker Can't find the start button bitmap!

Well Gents,

I followed the tutorial to the letter, firstly didn't find the filelist.xml file, but it still seemed to work properly. Then I looked for the start button green pill I find so hard to swallow. No joy. The key the tutorial says is it is some "Windows XP Professional" bitmap with the words strung vertically, I am running Windows XP version 2002 according to properties on my computer. I found no bitmap resembling the green pill so couldn't replace it with one of the kewl ones I have downloaded, any suggestions?

For those who is'nt really 100% sure about hacking the start button in regedit 'n stuff - there is a software who can do this job for you, without you having the scared feeling to do something wrong.

You can find under "Downloads" on this very site! :)

That ain't it

Hello Gents,

I was hoping for something useful to add to the thread, not condescending attitude. I followed the instructions to the letter from paper, it did NOT work on my system. I don't know why, maybe a different build of XP Pro, but was looking for input of a useful nature.

I regedit all the time with confidence as long as the directions are well thought out and specific, as these seemed to be. I can only think that the fellow who wrote them is using a different build because the directions were too specific and well laid out for him to be mistaken in my opinion.

I thought it might be nice for others to know that it didn't apply to my system, and then if it didn't apply to theirs they would know it isn't all their fault. Being a network admin I hardly think I was unsure about doing the thing, I wouldn't have undertaken to edit the properties of a windows .exe file unless I was sure I could do it right, and restore it if didn't work out properly.

Thanks for the thought though Zorenson. Could someone that knows how this hack works please tell me why it didn't apply to my system?

Holy cow, relax dude

I've been here a short while, a little longer than you. It didn't take me long to realize that most of "us" here have varying levels of computer knowledge, however I have NOT seen anyone be or attmept to be condescending towards another, except for a joke or two. As a fellow Pittsburgher, you too may attempt to realize that people here are from all over the world and we all think, speak and help differently. I have read many postings from a wide variety of people here and not once has anyone been anything other than courteous and helpful........"can't we all just get along":D

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back