guys got a question, need answers!!!!!!!!!!!

B

boske

Guys i need help, thats a rough diagram of what is going on. We want peopel from outside of our lan to connect to our lan through the outside network. Its hard to explain, but my friend and I were looking for a port forwarder or something. SOMEONE please help us! We need to play these guys over the network!

THanks
Steve

If you have any questions, ill gladly answer

I thought i uploaded the pic...well here it is again

problem.gif

"through the outside network" you mean not part of the schools intranet, or another LAN connected to the main server?

Oh, one thing. Do you have administrative rights to the main server? If not, then you'll just have to sit in a corner and play with yourself. :p

yeah, we do have access to the admin rights on the serber with windows 2000 advanced server running on there. All we need to do is connect a CPU to another computer in another room through the network. THe problem is, they cannot recognize our IP adress cause we are on our local network sharing the internet with one line, while their on the regualr network and nobody is sharing the network.

Are your workstations set up with permissions to see each of the workgroups under this servers domain? If you can, you may be able to install netbeui so you can communicate through that protocol and then install ipx/spx for the gameplay. If the server is set-up with a firewall you'll need to get permissions set up to open the appropriate ports that the game works under. I don't know if netbeui and ipx/spx need to be set up on the server or not, maybe someone else can comment and see if i'm on the right track.

Updated Diagram

Hey, i'm Boske's roommate, I upadated his diagram a little bit, so you can have a better idea on what's going on. If anyone could help us with this we would really sppreciate it, it's been driving us crazy

networkdiag.gif

is 10.0.0.0.1 another server? And is the wall jack actually a router (must be if it's got it's own ip)?

10.0.0.1 is the address of the schools dhcp server/router, or whatever it is. That's where our server gets it's ip address from. the wall jack just connects out computer to 10.0.0.1 somehow, it's not a static ip or anything like that.

Is the wall jack an Ethernet line or a Cable/DSL internet connecton?

You have to buy a hub and give your comptuers 10.0.0.x IPs. NetBIOS can't work throught ICS, so you can't share the LAN unless they are all on the same net and have the same IP address class. Get rid of the ICS on the Win2k box and just put all the comptuers on the 10.0.0.x network. That would be the easiest way. Plug the wall jack into the hub's uplink port and your computers into the normal ports and give them 10.0.0.x addresses

JJB6486
Networking Forum Moderator

also,, i'f i'm reading right,, if one of those computers is a game server, you need to forward the correct port to the computer in your lan,, this would be an adjustment on the router/server that assigns your ips to your internal lan. a nice router/hub would give you these port fowarding options :) linksys 4/8 port are cheap $

so when they hit your external ip, (wall jack) on that game port, it gets routed to the correct computer,

When you connect up the RRAS, what options did you choose?

Can you tell me the steps, so I can see if you configed it wrong.

Also, when you say you can't see the computers on the 10 net. Are you meaning you can't ping them?
How are you trying to "see" them?

Thanks

One more thing, The "JACK" does not have an IP. It is the nic that is plugged into it that hold the IP.

Fixed it

Thanks for all your help guys, I finally figured out the problem. The local lan and the school's lan were running on different subnet addresses. I just switched the address my local lan was running on, and now we can ping all of the addresses outside.

Thanks to all who helped!

I realize I am a little late, but I just heard about this forum from APK. :)

In the future, if you install the NAT module for RRAS and enable RIP (registry tweak), you will be able to route many machines from one class of network through the Win2K server to another network. We have a spinoff company that came to our offices, and I setup a Win2K AD for them. Their IP range 192.168.x.x while ours is 200.x.x.x. Their domain comprises of a laptop, and workstation, and a server all connected to a hub on one NIC of the server, while the other NIC in the server is connected to a switch on our network. I can connect to their server via WWW, FTP, TS, etc and can even connect directly through to their respective workstations via port mapping. The point is, you were REALLY close to getting it, so don't think that what you did was wrong, it was just *slightly* incomplete.

:)

Just found this one too, but I was just gonna say look into the NAT features in Adv Serv =) I've not yet played with it as I'm having problems just keeping the damn thing from locking up, but Clutch: I assume that when configuring NAT, I could map one port to forward to a laptop/workstation on the local side of a network? (Mine is set up the same as you describe above and boske & liquidice's apartment, two nics, one to cable modem, one to hub/lan) Just curious, not in dire need to play net games on that POS laptop =) ANY clue at all why a fresh install of adv. serv. might be locking up frequently? Only thing I can think of (which would suck) is my SCSI controller...
/L.A

Actually, I have a good reason why it could be locking up. My installation of Adv Server (it's the ONLY one, and I will not be installing it again for quite a while :)) was a bit of a dog when compared to a regular Win2K server install because of the extra services. One of these services that you will probably see, is RIS (Remote Installation Service). It has this oh-so-wonderful <dripping with sarcasm> utility called "grovel" (grovel.exe will be seen in your task manager if it is running) and it will suck down CPU cycles like there is no tomorrow. Also, it runs in fairly regular cycles as well, and you will hear it thrashing the HDD regularly as it scans. If you don't have this running, let me know and I can try to point you in the right direction.

As for NAT, it is available in both Server and Adv Server, and is available for installation after RRAS is installed (I know you know this LA, but this is more for everyone's benefit ;)). And yes, you can do both NAT and PAT (and yes, there is a difference. No, really... :p):

NAT-Lets you share one IP on one network with many IPs on another network. Generally tied into RIP when used in an application such as RRAS w/ NAT in Win2K server.

PAT-Lets you REDIRECT the traffic coming in on one port and shift it to another. For example, let's say you have 2 terminal servers on your network, and you are using the simple NAT of a Linksys BEFSR41 consumer router/gateway device. You are only allowed to map port 3389 to one machine, and that's it (of course, you can change the hosting port of TS/Remote Desktop if you like, but that's covered here and I can help with that too if needed). Now, with PAT in Win2K, you can declare that traffic coming in at 5555 will actually go to 192.168.1.101 (which is your second server, and 192.168.1.100 would be the first one sitting at port 3389 in your PAT table) so when traffic comes in on that port, it will be modified and redirected to the correct port from information in its table.

Here's a pic from the mini-domain running on our network at my office:

nat-setup.jpg

With this config, they can get out and do whatever they want, except use our resources (our NT 4 domain doesn't acknowledge their credentials) other than our T1 for internet access, while I can use TS to not only get into their server (as seen here), but get to each workstation as well. Pretty nifty eh? Is this what you were asking about?

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back