Gun meet PC...

LordOfLA

Godlike!
So there I was playing dungeo siege 2 when the audigy 2 squeal of death hit me (i've finally tracked my pc issues to the sound card....)

so I hit reset and it dont come back...

so 3 hours later ater taking the thing apart and reassmeblig it with a bit of dusting on the way and its come back.

ANy ideas on the cause of the temporary suicide??

Or questions you need to ask to clue you in.

My first port of call is an X-Fi. i'm hoping that has no squeal of death issues no one yet has reported any and its been available in the usa for a while.

I am going to be a bum here, but.

AUDIGY SUCKS THE BIG ONE.

They haven't made a card worth having in years, really. Too many systems crash and burn due to them, the minimal extra you get compared with the now obligatory onboard 5.1.

/end of rant.

Sorry bout the troubles...

What is the best soundcard to buy?

LordOfLA said:
(i've finally tracked my pc issues to the sound card....)

so 3 hours later ater taking the thing apart and reassmeblig it with a bit of dusting on the way and its come back.

Or questions you need to ask to clue you in.

Sure. First question - tell me how you've 'tracked' the pc issues to the sound card.

Second - how did you arrive at the conclusion that taking the pc apart and reassembling it would perhaps resolve the issue - when you look at the symptoms.

Third question is for Steevo. Being an Audigy, and Audigy 2 owner now - I fail to see your conclusions. Could you expand on your opinion here? I guess I'm just confused - but I've experienced no issues with either card, and the 2 simply rocks out on BF2.

I tried Audigy and Audigy 2, returned them and stuck my SB Live 5.1 back in. Have not tried the X-Fi XtremeMusic yet.

Mastershakes said:
Third question is for Steevo. Being an Audigy, and Audigy 2 owner now - I fail to see your conclusions. Could you expand on your opinion here? I guess I'm just confused - but I've experienced no issues with either card, and the 2 simply rocks out on BF2.

Just the number of issues that the cards cause. Noise on the PCI bus, IRQ conflicts, they are pricey...

All for? A few extra Db's of dynamic range, so you can hook up a set of speakers that won't even take advantage of the supposed extra fidelity.

Anyone can get one, I have no problem with that, but my opinion is simply, that it isn't worth the troubles, minimal gain, and price for what you get. And I feel that the majority of users will never be able to hear the difference, and will not notice or care about the 1-5% CPU use caused by onboard.

Anyway, it is, was only my opinion, and that is all any of us offer.

Fair enough. I started looking at that X-Fi Lord was talking about.

Looks pretty sweet. Starting the saving today if I don't drink it all away. ;)

Mastershakes said:
Sure. First question - tell me how you've 'tracked' the pc issues to the sound card.

Well I've tried just about everything else that everyone I've asked can think of - you can search out my other post if you like for a complete list (search for lieage 2 or nc soft or variations there of) The only thing I haven't tried yet is taking the audigy 2 out and using onboard for a while and seeing if the issue is still there.

I installed x64 yesterday and tried with newer drivers to see if the issue was fixed in the 64 bit drivers and it is not.

I'd hunted google and read that sometimes it helps to try the card in different pci slots I think its now in PCI3 and having no issues so far but i've not really had it going long enough to be anywhere near certain.

The issue is that after extended periods of audio playback there is a shrill screech from the speakers/headphones and the machine locks up or reboots, mostly just freezes.

Mastershakes said:
Second - how did you arrive at the conclusion that taking the pc apart and reassembling it would perhaps resolve the issue - when you look at the symptoms.

See above - I also needed to dust some fans out and thought I miht as well take it apart and check for dust in the bus slots too. I had nothing to loose.

Will do. I sure am glad mine doesn't do it (yet ;) )

OMG - article dated 3.5 years ago !!!

http://www.extremetech.com/article2/0,1697,48708,00.asp

Those mucks havn't resolved it? ?? It looks like drivers at first glance... I bet you've run
that through a bunch of times. heh

EDIT - check this out: http://alive.singnet.com.sg/drivers/ run a CTRL-F on death.

Leads to some older Compaq drivers - the dude mentions it may have resolved the screech.

Direct link to drivers: ftp://ftp.compaq.com/pub/softpaq/sp20501-21000/SP20920.exe (couldn't test it here behind proxy)

Last edited:
hehe enough times :)

I have 2 options until the x-fi is launched in the uk: onboard realtec or try older drivers... I could try kx project but those are just weird and dont do eax at all. If I'm not going to do eax I may just as well get a santa cruz or somethinh :p

Mastershakes said:
Fair enough. I started looking at that X-Fi Lord was talking about.

Looks pretty sweet. Starting the saving today if I don't drink it all away. ;)

I bet you can get Lord to sell you his cheap. ;)

As for Audigy, everyone I game with does nothing but bitch about them, including the guys who kept them. Most returned them. I'll never buy one.

Main complaints :
-Weird sounds being generated
-Get flaky when switching between applications (voice chat, game, etc.)

Speaking of the squeal of death. My SB Live has been doing it, in UT2004 only, for about 6 months now. I found if I crank up the speed on the case fans it stops squealling after about 30-60 seconds. Case temp is not very high so it's probably old age and thermal degradation. When it dies I'll prbably go Santa Cruz.

LordofLA,

What chipset mobo do you have? There is a latency patch for VIA chipsets to help this issue.

nforce 3 Ultra 250GB

I wont get a via chipset for exactly that latency bug reason :)

LeeJend said:
I bet you can get Lord to sell you his cheap. ;)

Why would I sell and X-fi I dont have yet? :p

THe only reason I can see for getting rid of an X-fi is if it too has squeal of death. I'm sure Turtle Beach would appreiciate my custom if that was the case :D

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back