Guide: OSNN Chatroom via mIRC

SPeedY_B

I may actually be insane.
As some people have had troubles getting into the OSNN.net chat room, I thought I would make some guides on how to come and join us.

This guide will show you how to get into the room using the mIRC IRC Client. mIRC is virtually always the choice of newcomers to IRC, as it's a nice and simple client natively built for the Windows platform which runs very fast. Please note that mIRC is not a free application, it is shareware software, you are legally allowed to use it without registering for 30-days after initial installation, after this you must proceed to either un-install the application or register the client for a one-time fee of $20.00.

001 - Getting mIRC
To download mIRC, simply choose a mirror close to you from mirc.com/get.html.

001.jpg

002 - Installing
Once the download has completed, double click the saved .exe file and you will be presented with the install dialog.

Click 'Next' and then 'Yes' on the preceeding dialog screens.

002.jpg

You will then be asked where you want to install it to, the default install folder is fine, but you may wish to change this to be more organised, once you have chosen your location, click 'Install'

003.jpg

003 - Running and Connecting
Now that mIRC is installed, double click the desktop icon (If created, else go to Start > Programs > mIRC > mIRC)
mIRC will open and be present you with the connection dialog.

Fill in the Full Name, E-Mail Address, Nickname and Alternative boxes

004.jpg

Next, move onto the "Servers" menu on the left, click add, then fill in the following details:

Description: SqueakNet
IRC Server: irc.squeaknet.net
Port(s): 6667
Group:
Password:

005.jpg

Once all of this is done simply click the Connect to IRC Server button
Note: Connecting may not work first time, this is not a fault with your client or with osnn in any way, the IRC servers have the rights to allow only who THEY want to onto their networks, just keep trying and you will connect in the end, if not look here for a list of servers you can try

004 - Joining
Upon connection you will be presented with the server MOTD (Message of the day) this will probably contain some rules and regulations which you have to follow to use the network in the correct manner.
Once connected type /join #osnn and press enter.

006.jpg

005 - Chatting
Once you are in the #osnn room simply type whatever you wish to say and press enter.

007.jpg

Once you join the room/channel please be patient with us as we are busy people and there will not always be somebody around to offer you help.

Optional Automation
If you wish to automatically join the OSNN channel, click the options menu on the left, and then the "Perform" button and simply add "/join #osnn" into the dialog box as pictured below.

008.jpg

If you intend to use your IRC client on more than one network, then you will need to change the "All Networks" drop down to "Squeaknet" only, so that you don't join #osnn on every network you connect to. :)

That's it! You should now be able to chat away with other members of the site, and site staff all in real-time.

Feel free to post any queries regarding this guide and mIRC in this thread.

part 005, it's the osnn chat room ;) :p

I need this cause I can never remember what to do :rolleyes:
Ta speedy :D

Electronic Punk said:
So get ur ass in there :p
Ooh I love it when you talk to me like that,your soooooooooo masterful,I think I'm gonna have to go in there later ;)

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back