[GUIDE] Maintaining a healthy Windows system

Just a quick note to those who do decide to install adware and spyware removers and tune-up utilities- be careful how many you install and how you go about installing them, because as strange as it may seem, pretty soon, they can become more annoying, and frustrating, than the adware and spyware you originally intended them to get rid of!

Just from my position alone, as an example- I noticed a system slowdown and a few pop-ups, so I googled a few of these adware and spyware removal tools, and a few tune-up utilities. In the end, my computer had no less than SEVEN spyware removal apps, all detecting different spyware and adware (rather disappointingly "limewire" is full of spyware called "bearshare"), and no less than FOUR tune-up utilities!

Now imagine trying to keep control of all these apps as they modify system settings, try to load at start-up, etc, all for your "convenience" of course, slowing your system, taking up space on your hard disk, all issues they're "supposed" to resolve... Uninstalling these apps then can be just as much a pain, as some of them have no restore function, and some leave behind registry entries, etc.

In summary, they say ignorance is bliss, and somewhow, after downloading all these various apps, to try and speed up my system and rid myself of spyware, I tend to agree, because its not too often I'll pull a 24hr shift on my comp unless I'm doing a fresh install, and then even that takes less time!

By the way, and some users may wanna kill me for saying this, because I dont wanna be giving novice users ideas, but its for the same reason that I steer clear of antivirus software, aswell as just taking up space on your hard drive, and hogging system resources, and generally being annoying and interfering- all the updates in the world wont help you when your system is infected because as we all know- any antivirus app is only as good as the last virus it detected.

Guys, last thing to sum up- If you want a clean system, DIY- follow Nighthawks basic solutions, and be vigilant, and dont get swallowed up in hype about the numerous amount of internet threats out there, because there's far more beneficial reasons to be on the internet than not to be...

Last edited:
Psyborg said:
Just a quick note to those who do decide to install adware and spyware removers and tune-up utilities- be careful how many you install and how you go about installing them, because as strange as it may seem, pretty soon, they can become more annoying, and frustrating, than the adware and spyware you originally intended them to get rid of!

Just from my position alone, as an example- I noticed a system slowdown and a few pop-ups, so I googled a few of these adware and spyware removal tools, and a few tune-up utilities. In the end, my computer had no less than SEVEN spyware removal apps, all detecting different spyware and adware (rather disappointingly "limewire" is full of spyware called "bearshare"), and no less than FOUR tune-up utilities!

Now imagine trying to keep control of all these apps as they modify system settings, try to load at start-up, etc, all for your "convenience" of course, slowing your system, taking up space on your hard disk, all issues they're "supposed" to resolve... Uninstalling these apps then can be just as much a pain, as some of them have no restore function, and some leave behind registry entries, etc.

In summary, they say ignorance is bliss, and somewhow, after downloading all these various apps, to try and speed up my system and rid myself of spyware, I tend to agree, because its not too often I'll pull a 24hr shift on my comp unless I'm doing a fresh install, and then even that takes less time!

By the way, and some users may wanna kill me for saying this, because I dont wanna be giving novice users ideas, but its for the same reason that I steer clear of antivirus software- al the updates in the world wont help you when your system is infected because as we all know- any antivirus app is only as good as the last virus it detected.

Guys, last thing to sum up- If you want a clean system, DIY- follow Nighthawks basic solutions, and be vigilant, and dont get swallowed up in hype about the numerous amount of internet threats out there, because there's far more beneficial reasons to be on the internet than not to be...
Em...Thanks? I suppose some of that is true, but I generally don't let any of the programs run fully in the background. I have 1GB of RAM, and my system generally uses 230MB with firewall and antivirus.

Pretty sweet Nighthawk, but if you'll forgive me generally ranting on, lol, my post was aimed at the more average user, such as myself, with a P4, 256mb ram and a pretty miserable 30gb hard drive, so now you can understand why I'm so conscious of space and system resources... :)

Well spotted Nighthawk :)

And heres another useful thread for laptop users amongst us:

http://forum.osnn.net/showthread.php?p=589991#post589991

Mine's been plugged in the last few days now, besides the odd restart or reboot it's been grand, and as you can see, the reason I've had all these app and spyware probs is because they just "love" latching onto a broadband connection, ( my apologies to all 56k users in here, but I too was once like you, when you'd spot anything bigger than a 100k file coming a mile away! lol :)

I've just added a massive update and reworded most of the thread.
I've rejiged the firewall and antivirus bit. Added service pack 2 info, ccleaner, hijack this. And much more. I worked most of this afternoon to do this, so please, gimme some feedback. :)
-Enjoy!

Given the thread bump - just thought I would chip in to suggest a possible reference adding for Windows Defender per front page news, although perhaps you prefer to wait until it moves along from Beta 2....

Then again you may want to add a "catch all" paragraph about keeping up to date and joining a forum and looking out for Betas and latest releases .... though many programs have auto updaters and installers now that semi-automate this at least.

wow, you revived a year old thread and the Op is still around!! Impressive!

The guide is good, but personally I reccommend O&O's Pro edition defrag program over perfect disk, as I have found that it gives you more options to keep your disk in shape and has a faster defrag performance overall on week-to-week defrags (especially if you use their SPACE option).

The main website link is for this is:

http://www.oo-software.com/en/products/oodefrag/

This is a free internet so I reccommend trying both products to see which you prefer.

The rest of the software list is reccommended, especially Adaware and CCleaner which I use frequently.

Last edited:
Wow...
I didn't even realize that the thread was a year old, hehe
i guess i was just looking through the forum pages and came across a good thred. :)
oh well it helped me, it was a good reminder to clean up my pc:)
-Jack

Perfect disk is the best defragmentaation program for windows at the moment irrespective of personal preference. However that doenst stop you using your prefered app.

Mainframeguy said:
Given the thread bump - just thought I would chip in to suggest a possible reference adding for Windows Defender per front page news, although perhaps you prefer to wait until it moves along from Beta 2....

Then again you may want to add a "catch all" paragraph about keeping up to date and joining a forum and looking out for Betas and latest releases .... though many programs have auto updaters and installers now that semi-automate this at least.
Jee, it only came out yesterday. :p
But yeh, I plan to replace MS AntiSpyware info with Defender info. MS also have a few installation/usage guides which I'll add too.
I might add the paragraph about forums etc.., but that may be at a later date.
LordOfLA said:
wow, you revived a year old thread and the Op is still around!! Impressive!
Assuming I'm the op? I check this site everyday for news, and browse the forums. I just don't post...much.
Dublex said:
The guide is good, but personally I reccommend O&O's Pro edition defrag program over perfect disk, as I have found that it gives you more options to keep your disk in shape and has a faster defrag performance overall on week-to-week defrags (especially if you use their SPACE option).

The main website link is for this is:

http://www.oo-software.com/en/products/oodefrag/

This is a free internet so I reccommend trying both products to see which you prefer.

The rest of the software list is reccommended, especially Adaware and CCleaner which I use frequently.
I might add it, I've never personally tried it - so I may.
Perfect Disk's Offiline file defragmenting and smart optimization defragging are great features. That may also come at slightly later date.
Thanks for the feedback.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back