[Guide] Convert DVD to MP4 for iPhone with freeware (Mac/Win)

drcshine

OSNN One Post Wonder
Many friends ask me how to put DVD movie and video on iPhone, so I took a few days to write a guide to teach you how to do that with freeware. Before we start the guide, here is something about iPhone supported video format that we should know:

Video formats supported:
H.264 video, up to 1.5 Mbps, 640 by 480 pixels, 30 frames per second, Low-Complexity version of the H.264 Baseline Profile with AAC-LC audio up to 160 Kbps, 48kHz, stereo audio in .m4v, .mp4, and .mov file formats;

H.264 video, up to 768 Kbps, 320 by 240 pixels, 30 frames per second, Baseline Profile up to Level 1.3 with AAC-LC audio up to 160 Kbps, 48kHz, stereo audio in .m4v, .mp4, and .mov file formats;

MPEG-4 video, up to 2.5 Mbps, 640 by 480 pixels, 30 frames per second, Simple Profile with AAC-LC audio up to 160 Kbps, 48 kHz, stereo audio in .m4v, .mp4, and .mov file formats

Mac user
what you need is handbrake: http://handbrake.m0k.org/?page_id=8

Step1. Install handbrake and run it. The latest version is 0.8.5. In the “Source” section, click “browser” button to load the DVD file from your DVD-Rom or hard drive:
iphone-guide-1.jpg

Then click “Open”.

Step2. You can select the desire audio and subtitle in the “Video Audio & Subtitle” section. If you don’t know much about video encoder, just leave it as original, the default setting works great.
iphone-guide-2.jpg

Because iPhone’s resolution is 480*320, DVD movie resolution is 720*480, if you want to customize the resolution; you can click “picture settings” to open the crop panel. Type in the value you want.
iphone-guide-3.jpg

Then click close to return to the main interface, click “Start” to rip the DVD to MP4.

If handbrake didn’t help, you may try this DVD Ripper for Mac, here is its official website
http://www.aimersoft.com/dvd-ripper-for-mac.html

Windows user
What you need is DVD Decrypter and Videora iPhone Converter, they are both free.
DVD Decrypter: http://www.copy-hd-ripper.com/software/dvd-decrypter.html
Videora iPhone Converter: http://www.videora.com/en-us/Converter/iPhone/

Part1. Rip DVD to computer:
Step1. Install DVD Decrypter and run it, put your DVD disc into your DVD-Rom, Go to the Mode menu and select IFO I mode. This will give you access to two new tabs; Input & Stream Processing.
iphone-guide-4.jpg

Step2. Go to the Tools menu, select Settings, go to the IFO tab, then under Options, change File Splitting to none and press OK.
iphone-guide-5.jpg

Step3. Go to the main screen and click the Stream Processing tab. Enable it and only select the first video listed. Note that home encoded movies do not support subtitles of any kind and that your file can only have one type of audio.
iphone-guide-6.jpg

Then click “Decrypt” button to start ripping your DVD to hard drive.

Part2. Convert the ripped DVD or video to MP4 for iPhone
Step1. Install Videora iPhone Converter and run it.
iphone-guide-7.jpg

Step2. After you open Videora, click “Convert” tab, then select “Current Conversion” tab, click “One-Click Converter”, and load your video files. Then the conversion will start automatically. When you finish the conversion, Videora will add the converted video to iTunes library.

If DVD Decrypter + Videora iPhone Converter didn’t help, you can try other iPhone converter tool such as Aimersoft iPhone Converter Suite, this software can help you rip DVD and convert video to iPhone, and here is a full guide about it:
http://www.aimersoft.com/tutorial/iphone-converter-suite.html

Transfer video to iPhone
Run iTunes (you need iTunes 7.3.0 or later), drag the converted video (*.mp4) to your iTunes library, connect your iPhone to computer; iTunes will detect your iPhone when you connect iPhone correctly. Then click “Sync iPhone”, done.
iTunes download link: http://www.apple.com/itunes/download/
If you have any question about this guide, feel free to post here.

Last edited:
Re: convert DVD to MP4 for iPhone with freeware (Mac/Win)

Awesome post. Nice one, reps going out to you!

In handbrake, the iPod preset will work for the iPhone as well.

you may want to change dvd decrypter to dvd fab hd decrypter just for the simple fact that dvd decrypter will be stopped by newer dvds since it is no longer updated. and I have not had 1 dvd stopped in dvd fab hd decrypter

Awesome post BTW!!!

megui is a good tool to use as well - will convert dvd to x264/xvid - has many profiles you can choose from.

good guide though :)

will this work for the zune as well? I jsut picked up a zune 80 and it supports those files as well I believe.

wondering what the file size of these should be. I took a few 700 meg files and converted them with the default Ipod touch settings for my zune and they turned out being like 1.4 gigs?

Hi there

I've been trying to convert my DVD to a format for Iphone using Handrake 0.9.3. I have tried multiple settings but can't seem to get a compatible file. Does anyone have standard settings handy that will work?

Using dvd decrypter, free dvdfab and super are the best choices .. Then you could go the real easy route and just use the paid version of dvdfab ..

it is still better with dvdfab ..

Handbrake/DVD43/DVDshrink are all the freeware can easily convert DVD to MP4 for iPhone ...

Last edited by a moderator:

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back