GTA Lawsuit

V

Vorpal

Man, I love lawyers...

http://www.gametab.com/jump.php?35989

Families sue over GTA III-inspired shooting

The families of two people whose cars were shot at by teenage fans of Grand Theft Auto III have filed a lawsuit against SCEA, Take-Two, Rockstar Games, and Wal-Mart.

The families of two people whose cars were shot at by two teenage boys as they passed through the Great Smoky Mountains on June 25 have filed a $246 million lawsuit against Sony Computer Entertainment America, Take-Two Interactive, Rockstar Games, and Wal-Mart. Aaron Hamel, 45, was killed and Kimberly Bede, 19, was seriously wounded when their cars were fired upon by stepbrothers William Buckner, 16, and Joshua Buckner, 14, of Newport.

The boys told investigators that they had got the rifles from a locked room in their home and then started shooting at vehicles on Interstate 40 just like in Grand Theft Auto III--which it's worth noting is an M-rated game that neither of them should have been playing. The stepbrothers are currently serving an indefinite term in state custody after pleading guilty to reckless homicide, endangerment, and assault in juvenile court in August.

The suit filed earlier this week alleges that Grand Theft Auto III inspires and trains players to shoot at vehicles and persons, and claims that the game's designers, marketers, and retailers are liable for $46 million in compensatory damages and $200 million in punitive damages. We'll bring you more information on this story as it becomes available.

By Justin Calvert, GameSpot [POSTED: 10/22/03 02:10 AM]

Funny how the plaintiffs only sue the big-money companies and not the perpetrators. Hmm...

i think it's funny how they sue the creators of the game, and..... Wal-Mart:confused: . It's not like the dude at wal-mart said "Oh, here, buy this game. you'll like it alot. What? you're only 16? take it anyway, nobody will care." For cryin out loud. there's a thing called a Gift, or maybe borrowing off of another friend.

Originally posted by ElementalDragon
i think it's funny how they sue the creators of the game, and..... Wal-Mart:confused: . It's not like the dude at wal-mart said "Oh, here, buy this game. you'll like it alot. What? you're only 16? take it anyway, nobody will care." For cryin out loud. there's a thing called a Gift, or maybe borrowing off of another friend.

exactly, Instead of SUEING WAL-MART, sue the kid who gave it to him or the parents for giving the kid the game =)

Originally posted by ming
Sue the parents!! That's what I say :p

A. The parents have no money
B. This is obviously a suite about money

The report said the teenagers got the guns from a locked cabinet in their parents house.

The parents are the only ones to blame for not properly securing their guns (and "sure" the cabinet was locked). Also, who taught the kids how to fire load and handle those guns. There's no video game that can come close to teaching you what it feels like to fire (and aim, and hit something) a real weapon.

So, who taught them how to shoot, or how did they learn how to shoot.

The fact that this lawsuit is even possible is another example of how totally screwed up America's justice system is.

Oh well...

I'm going to have to take this opportunity to rant....ultimately, it is the parents to blame along with the two boys...one, for not insuring their kids know right from wrong...and two, for pulling the same bs that most of society is pulling these days...no one is EVER held accountable for their own actions! Sad, sad direction we're going...

These are the kind of idiotic actions that would make a game company put a "Do not try this at home in real life you little ignorant idiotic kids" label on the side of the box, or even make it the entire back of the box for that matter. You would think the kids would get the clue when they SHOOT the people on the game and they die, the same thing would probably happen in real life too, along with the police chasin ur ass down. Kinda makes you wonder if they attempted to use the "leavemealone" cheat in real life. :D

Originally posted by Vorpal
The fact that this lawsuit is even possible is another example of how totally screwed up America's justice system is.

Oh well...

i dont know if the justice system itself is screwed up, but the over-zealousness and sue-happy *******s that spot the landscape have definitely risen exponentially... its disgusting the stupid things that people are suing for now...

cough fat people cough cough mcdonalds cough :D

^agreed.

The justice system is fine, its what people try and get using it that isnt fine.

Originally posted by Chris
^agreed.

The justice system is fine, its what people try and get using it that isnt fine.

Substitue "lawyers" for "people" and I'll go with you on that one.

ok, umm..... now that i actually read through it more in depth, i noticed something else. If the kids were inspired to do that by GTA3, i could see them suing Rockstar games and take-two interactive IN THEIR MIND. But WHY THE HELL are they sueing Sony Entertainment?!?!? Sony isn't even INVOLVED with GTA as far as i know. What, were the kids playing the game on a Sony Vaio or what?

Originally posted by ElementalDragon
ok, umm..... now that i actually read through it more in depth, i noticed something else. If the kids were inspired to do that by GTA3, i could see them suing Rockstar games and take-two interactive IN THEIR MIND. But WHY THE HELL are they sueing Sony Entertainment?!?!? Sony isn't even INVOLVED with GTA as far as i know. What, were the kids playing the game on a Sony Vaio or what?

playstation

omg.... thaNK god those kids did not play command and conquer.... else there will be war! i mean always......

wait a minute... then y iraq and u.s. did not sueing westwood? :p
think urself

Either way, Sazar, it's still ridiculous. it's not like PS2 was made SPECIFICALLY for playing GTA3

Hey, if they're gona sue Sony for it, then are they going to sue Intel, IBM, AMD and all the Mobo manufacturers for making the hardware that allows the game to be run.... Oh!! and Microsoft for that matter.. for the OS.

probably sue the electric company too, for providing these kids with the silly electricity needed to run their "video game systems"
AND they will sue the company that mined the uranium/coal/oil that the electric company uses to make that electricity. screw it, they will probably sue the sun too, because there was a solar panel involved somewhere in this

...whatever gets them the most money

Sue the electric company too.... DAMN IT! Why didn't I think of that.

PS I wonder if the illegal immigrant workers at Walmart carded the kids when they bought the game? It is age restricted. The good thing is they didn't' download it on Kazaa and play it on an Intel based PC with a Radeon card or this could get really ugly...

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back