Group Policy in Windows XP Pro

jonny813

OSNN Addict
Hey I'm new here and have one question i can't seem to get around. I would like to use group policy to restrict other users (family members) from windows settings but when i try using it on my standalone machine, it affects everyone, including myself, how can i get it to affect only the other users?
My Windows XP Magazine said a while back that it only affects the current user, but i've had no such luck

GPO only affects standard users and power users. Local administrators will continue to have unrestricted access to the computer.

What settings are you trying to restrict specifically?

GPO only affects standard users and power users. Local administrators will continue to have unrestricted access to the computer.

This is just not true. Group policies affect all users.

If you want to restrict specific users, you have to enter in the group policy restrictions in the registry for the user you are trying to restrict.

Every GPO in the administrative templates, if enabled, will affect all users? Show me one that does not.

You're right. I take it back.

Using Active Directory and the way I build networks I don't apply Group Policies to the users container (besides security policies, e.g. security settings). I create a new GPO for Domain Users and another for Domain Computers then apply policies to those containers.

That's why Group Policy doesn't apply to Administrator.

Right, I guess I should have said if you are using AD and have a domain controller you can set specific policies, on a standalone PC or in a network without a DC you cannot.

I'm sorry for confusing everyone; I thought this was posted in Windows Server.

I was trying to apply settings from all of the User Configuration, i thought it would be better than using third party programs if Windows could do it on its own. i don't know how to set all the registry settings so i guess they will have to do thanks

Thanks for the list thats quite amazing, i would never have got that on my own :)

After trying it out on my test XP the only values that don't work are for the Internet Explorer toolbar button customization (Btn_Size etc.)

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back