Graphics card, HD and a tax return

Helmer

Questions R me
Hey..

Sometime during may I will get some money back from last years tax(I paied too much apparently, but I also play almost 60% dammit!!).. Anyway..

I'm tired of my current system, or some of it, and needs an upgrade. I'm planning to spend about 550$(the entire tax, minus one dinner for the gf) on 2 upgrades - 1 new HD and one new Graphics card..

This is my current system:
WinXP Pro
AMD Athlon 1200 Mhz
512 MB RAM
Soltek SL-75 DRV Motherboard
Asus GeForce2 MX 32 MB AGP v7100
SB Live
HD's are so old I can't remember the brand or model number..

Now I'm very much in doubt about the graphics accelerator - it's not a secret that I'm a gamer and I review games on a weekly basis so it's important that I get a card that will be able to run the new games for at least the next 6-12 months..

The HD I want to buy will be IBM DeskStar 120GXP 80GB and that lies around 160$ so that leaves me with 390 $ to buy a graphics accelerator - so my question is, what would you buy if you had my specs?? :)

well since you've got a geforce 2 right now, may i suggest going for the geforce 4 ti-4200? best bang for your buy. around $200 U.S. roughly.

for the hard drive, dont go IBM. they've had way too many problems with their GXP lines. i'd suggest seagate or western digital. personally, i bought a seagate barracuda iv 80gb drive a month ago for $90 and its f$ckin awesome. extremely quiet too. makes you wonder if the thing is running at all.

with that said and done, you should have around $250 more or less to spend on your GF.

Hmm.. I can't find any GeForce4 TI, I didn't know it was released already.. And my card is MX - MX is evil!! There is no way I'm ever buying a MX card again..

I've checked the danish version of pricewach and I can't find any GeForce 4 TI :(

Go for either a Radeon 8500 128Mb or a GeForce4 Ti 4400.

The Ti4400 can be OC'ed to the same specs as the 4600 without any extra heat to speak of.

Seagate 7200 RPM HDD
Visiontek/MSI Ge-Force 4 Ti-4400 and OC it to 4600 levels...or not, either way it will be an awesome card.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back