graphics card cycling and mouse freezing

greggustin

OSNN Addict
strange co-incidence
last week - mother -in law DELL home computer
the cursor would freeze for a few seconds - then all ok
shrugged it off
then today - on my home computer
(no files shared - not networked - NO connections)

I started getting random graphics card shut down
(ie monitors searching for signal)
and or
hundreds of miscolored pixels(using 2 LCD monitors)
ATI xx1800xl = no overclocking - Omega drivers (current)
and my mouse cursor would freeze
ran Task manager and saw spikes in CPU usage from 4 tp 90%
but NO process was identified - because even task manager was freezing
ran ad-adware and spy ware
no culprits
I am not a DL junkie - I keep close tabs ob my system
not heat related - I keep side of computer off and have a 9" fan blowing right in all the time

did a few reboots = mouse stopped freezing
still getting some pixel dust on the 2nd monitor

any ideas?

550 watt pwr

Wrong pixels is a graphics card issue. Possibly the cable. Try swapping the monitors and if the pixels are just on one monitor it could be the cable (or monitor).

Uninstall the Omega and install the Latest catalysts from ATI. If the problem goes away you know the source. If it is still there it is an issue with the card and you would need to reinstall ATI drivers before ATI tech support will talk to you.

First guess this time of year is heat. Is the room any warmer lately than it was? Get some canned air and dust off your heatsinks and fans. Check your GPU, System and CPU temperatures. Bad pixels in 2D is usually not a heat issue but check anyway. Tis the season for heat death.

Your mother in laws computer was just had the CPU loaded up with a hard drive access, file transfer, non-responding peripheral, etc. If it doesn't repeat ignore it.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back