Graphics Card Blasphamy

O

OTE

Just read a review in PC ZONE UK and there are two cards reviewed, GFFX5800 Ultra and 3D Prophet 9500Pro.

Summaries:
GFFX "Silent and Deadly"

9500Pro "Cheap but not cheery"

Who paid off who i wonder ;)

"Who paid off who i wonder"

hang on a second, the GFFX is a very very good card. In comparison, the 9500pro isnt. I dont think any payoffs are being made! :)

there have been many improvements done on the coolers of the FX cards since we first say the first PCI cooler

the dust buster as we called it before

If it's a comparison between the 9500 Pro and a 5800 Ultra... then it's not right....

5800 Ultra competes with the 9700 Pro, or 9800 Pro. Not the 9500 Pro... the 9500 Pro is middle of the pack.

So it's a moot comparison

I still don't think "silent" is a good description of the FX. Has it really gotten SO much better?

so would it be better to compare the GFFX 5200 agains the 9500Pro ??

nah , You've saw that these is also a price difference between those two ..

sorry i should have been more specific. the two cards were not benchmarked next to each other. The point i was making is that the GFFX is being called 'Silent and deadly, deadly maybe but silent, i dont thnk so. and the 9500Pro is an amazing deal it has great performance for 150 quid, plus the fact that you can mod it to a 9700. Cheap yes but its anything but "noy cheery".

Originally posted by BonyTony
Or how about this water cooling kit you can buy !! read about it here on Toms Hardware for the FX.
same thing as the first. the first article was posted march 30th and they talked about gainward picking up their idea and marketing it. the second article is a month later and credits... *tada*... gainward! :p

$200! and can you imagine the amount of heat it adds to the inside of your case, though? i'd just add the waterblocks to a pre-existing watercooling system and have the hot heatsink air blown outside the case. and use the 5¼ bay thing to water-cool a, say, 1ghz cpu in another system. :)

That water cooling mod did look really nice, but I think ATI still has the advantage since it doesn't need anything like that to run decently. And this is coming from an old Geforce guy too. :)

Originally posted by scriptasylum
That water cooling mod did look really nice, but I think ATI still has the advantage since it doesn't need anything like that to run decently. And this is coming from an old Geforce guy too. :)
well, granted. but the thought of having an endless pile of money and getting a 5800 ultra with a $200 water block setup is fun. :cool:

Originally posted by taurus
well, granted. but the thought of having an endless pile of money and getting a 5800 ultra with a $200 water block setup is fun. :cool:

If I had an endless pile of money, I still don't think I'd get that thing! It would be fun to do, but hard to justify $600 on a GPU no matter how much money I have.

Originally posted by taurus

@ the end of the day you are reducing the temp.. basically...

the overclocking potential is there.. but limited to an extent...

however if I had the option I would certainly go with a cooling solution like that over that of the reference board...

btw... bestbuy carries radeon 9800pro boards :)

399.00 and radeon 9700pro boards @ 299.00 but these were sold out @ my local store...

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back