Graphic Card won't fit??

CaKarst

OSNN Junior Addict
I just got a ATI Radeon 700 Pro for Christmas. My mom said that when she bought it she made sure that the card was compatible with my pc by asking a Best Buy guy and he said that it would work. So I go and try to install it (and keep in mind, I'm new to graphic cards, don't know much about them) and it won't fit into my agp slot. Now I'm not exactly sure if it is an agp slot but I searched them on google and got a picture of one that looked pretty much identicle to the one on my motherboard. The slot is shifted back farther than the rest which was my first hint that it was an agp slot. When I go to put the card in, it hits the front of my pc and begins to bend the metal. I don't know if I'm missing something or if its just not an agp slot though im pretty sure it is because if it isn't, I have no clue what it would be. So if anyone could help me out it would be greatly appreciated. I foolishly uninstalled my built in graphics card and don't know how to reinstall so I really need ta get this figured out.. Thanks

Your X700Pro is a PCI Express card, will not fit into an AGP slot. Those X700's are available in AGP, that's if you can find one.

Does the slot on the motherboard look to be same width as the inserts on the card? The PCI Express Cards have alot less pegs to fit into the PCI express slot

BTW, Welcome to OSNN. Hope you enjoy your stay here, CaKarst

Heeter

really?? it says AGP 8X/4X in the top right corner of the box..

like heeter said.... and Welcome to OSNN, CaKarst!

my only question (which was brought about by you saying that you are new to video cards) is what kind of computer is it?

and....... you JUST got the x700 for christmas........ like 14 days AFTER christmas?

Are you saying that the card doesn't fit in the slot or in your case?

Are you able to post any information about your board? If your card is indeed an agp card, maybe the board is out of spec, i.e. its a regular pci slot rather than agp?

Please post some more details.

I have an eMachines T6520.. Yea i got the card for Christmas at home.. tried to install it and since I was at my parents house, I ignored it till I got back to college. When I tried to put the card into the slot, the end of the card with the plugs would be too close to the front of the front of the pc.. The slot is white and is shifted back further than the other slots.. It's split into two sections and has a thing at the end which i assume is for the little hook thing on the card.. Im not positive if its agp or not. I found a picture of one on the internet that looked like mine so i assumed it was.. plus the guy at best buy said that this card would work on my computer.

Ahh, Best Buy.

Yes.

So the card looks like it will fit into the slot, but the case is too small to house the card properly? As in things are getting in the way.

Your machine.

http://www.emachines.com/products/products.html?prod=eMachines_T6520

Note it says
Video: ATI Radeon® Xpress 200 (PCI-Express®)
128MB DDR shared video memory . This chipset is a PCI-express version.

That does not sound like it is AGP compatible. Also, AGP slots are usually colored brown not whitish.

PS I third that BB slam. Been there looking at stuff while the sales people lied like hell to other customers.

Now the good news. If you have a Best Buy in the area, a copy of the gift receipt (fax will be fine) and the box you should be able to do an even trade with no hassles for a CPI-express version of the card. If the "restock hassles" start use of words like "mistrained employees making fraudualent claims to MY AGED TECH, HELPMESS MOTHER won't look good in the tech press and on 60 Minutes". And the 50 college students walking up and down in front of your store nights and weekends complaining about incompetents and criminal fraud should get their attention too.

On the good side BB has treated me pretty well on an outlandished request for help. And I'm thinking about seeing how benevolent they are these dasys. Returning gamepad I don't like and an ATI X800XL AIW vidoe card which is incompatible with my MB Sound and a SBlive sound. The Card came from Newegg who told me to screw off. I'm going to try and work an exchange deal for the 6800GT and an 8 button RF mouse. Lets see if I STILL HAVE THE SILVER TONGUE.

That is a pretty good set up for an emachine. Good mb/cpu/ram. And the expansion is PCI-express so it is new generation.

The MB below shows a PCI express slot (red in the center) and a pseudo AGP slot (orange and set back further than the white PCI card slots. You can see the cpi-e slot is closer to the back panel and the agp card will be too long. Slot keying is different also.

Attachments

• 13-135-212-03.jpg
    13-135-212-03.jpg
    63 KB · Views: 126
Last edited:
Thanks Lee, I hadn't had time to move to the site to browse specs.

In this case I would say you need to find a short video card as the room between the front and back of the case is lacking. Or if it is a internal piece that is preventing you such as a harddrive perhaps you could move that to get more space.

yeah I was worried about that.. I looked up some pictures of an express slot and they didn't look like this one.. Are pci express slots usually shifted back like that though?? .. how good are pci express cards? I dont know a whole lot about graphic cards...

As of yet I am still not really convinced of the performance benefit. Then again, ya never know.

So I could return this card and get a CPI-Express version? So is that like the same kind of card that i have without the agp thingy?? Sorry about the lack of intelligence with these things..

PCI-Express is the better of the two just for future upgrades. Cost is usally in favor of the PCI express too.

The card I have and a PCI express would be able to run games like quake 4.. right?

CaKarst...... there's one reason why i asked what kind of computer you have. and that question lead up to this question/suggestion. If possible..... could you look on the power supply to find out how many watts it is? a lot of times in those brand-name, pre-built computers, they'll throw in a power supply that provides JUST enough wattage to power what's in it, and just about nothing more. my old Sony Vaio was like that. had a 1.2Ghz Celeron, 2 optical drives, a 5,000 rpm hard drive, the motherboard, 512MB of SDRAM..... a real piece of crap for the $600 spent on it (which is why i now build my computers from scratch...), and that computer had i think like... a 200w power supply in it. turns out it was nowhere near enough to power the system.... AND the GeForce 4 Ti4200 that i put in it...... wound up killin the card. woke up the one day, and my brother's like "hey... the computer is acting funny..... all these different colored squares on the screen".

Darn it this thread is about to go way way way OT!... all we need are the Nvidia fan boys now!

welcome to OSNN - you have a good kind of graphics card as a budget buy, shame you do not seem to know EXACTLY what flavour of card you have! ;) I do not suppose there is any chance of pics of card and mobo slot (however crappy) so that we can make a definite decision here. Why do I ask? You said you are new to GFX cards and of all the cards you will likely ever plug in these are the ones with the tightest fit (this is because they are double sided and need to make a LOT of GOOD connections in situ). So I am just wondering vaguely if it REALLY does not fit, or is a TIGHT fit, or does not "fit" as in cooling and other components are in the way (which would be the most annoying permutation and is probably the actual situation, except I would have expected you to work that one out and say early on).

I do not know BB, being in the UK, but even the poorest supplier is unlikely to mix a board with a case that does not match (though with RMAs these days you never know!). So if that box says it fits I would expect it to.

Let us know how this is going - I can imagine your frustration because I am guessing the card will enable soem gaming you have not been able to do before (I am in a similar position myself actually with my Radeon 9700! Just cannot afford the GFX jump!).

Oh yeah, and the whole PCiExpress question is worth a whole other forum search if you want to understand that... basicaly it renders the AGP slot obsolete though because it gives such bandwidth on the PCI that everything can go there (again!).

Hoep this is helpful and I did not speed read over resolution or anything :dead:

Saz, he means the slot, albeit in the case of some older cards (the V5 5500 I had heard of them not fitting in cases).

CaKarst said:
I have an eMachines T6520.. Yea i got the card for Christmas at home.. tried to install it and since I was at my parents house, I ignored it till I got back to college. When I tried to put the card into the slot, the end of the card with the plugs would be too close to the front of the front of the pc.. The slot is white and is shifted back further than the other slots.. It's split into two sections and has a thing at the end which i assume is for the little hook thing on the card.. Im not positive if its agp or not. I found a picture of one on the internet that looked like mine so i assumed it was.. plus the guy at best buy said that this card would work on my computer.

OK, a few things:

- Don't go by the sales guy at Best Buy. The computer knowledge of a sales guy may very, and even if they do know a thing or two, without knowing the specifics of your machine (something your mother might not have been certain of) they might not be aware of what you really need.

Best to do one's "homework" before going into the shop.

- The AGP slots that I have seen tend to be brown in color. If the slot is white, I'm suspecting PCI Express as others have indicated.

I was wondering a few things myself, as there are a few other things one could be looking at, depending on the specifics of the slot. AKA a modem riser card can be moved a little back as well, but is not AGP... AGP also had 2 different versions, with an older version using higher voltage and being pinned out a bit different. Newer cards would not be designed to use that sorta slot, which was in use back in the TNT2 days and the like.

- Never try to force a card into a slot when it won't go, so that something starts to bend. Things can get broken, or as you noted bent that way, and in reality you need to exchange that card. If damaged due to forcing it, the store might not take it back. BTW, you will need a receipt for an exchange, with the explanation that the sales guy told your mother it would fit in your motherboard when she was buying it as a gift, but that you need PCI Express.

Unfortunately however, if the card is AGP, and the slot is PCI Express, I've seen PCI-X cards cost a tad bit more...

Last edited:
just took another look at it and i realize now that the slots not shifted as far back as I once thought.. Its probably not an agp slot.. Ill have some pictures up in a little bit..

Maybe these will help a little..
Sorry bout quality

Attachments

• Picture 17.jpg
    Picture 17.jpg
    127.7 KB · Views: 143
  • Picture 18.jpg
    Picture 18.jpg
    189.7 KB · Views: 149
Last edited:

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back