GPO Question

celticfan11

OSNN Senior Addict
What i need is for for all users to not beable to see the C drive. I can accomplish this VIA GPO no problem. However for 20 computers, Group X need to be able to see the C drive but i only want group X to be able to see the C drive on those 20 computers. How is this possible. I cant think of a clever way to do so.

1st create a new OU with all users that you dont want to be able to see the C drive (e.g everyone except "Group X"),
then apply the gpo to just that OU via a user configuration GPO, that will mean that only "group X" can see the c drive on any pc on the domain.

Next to lock it down even more make a 2nd New OU with all PC's in except the 20 you want "Group X" to have C Drive access to, then apply the same setting via computer configuration, this will mean "group x" wil only be able to see the c drive on the 20 pc's you have chosen.

that would work i think?

Create an OU with all users except the 20 you want to be able to see the C drive in, then apply the gpo to just that OU?

As the 20 users wont be in that OU then the GPO wont apply to them + they will be able to access the c drive.

but those 20 users can then see the C drive anywhere they login. I want limit them to seeing the C drive only on say 30 computers.

i just changed my post to make it clearer as you posted :D

except the hide C drive is a USER setting not a computer setting :(

me either, but i would have thought it was possible to take the same setting + make it computer based?

*carries on with google*

well the catch to that would be that i still want other users to login to any pc AND be able to see the C drive.. a computer setting would thus defeat that

i think i got it..... what i did was restrict c drive access to everyone in my main group..... when you login a script runs and maps a Z drive to the local folder that those 20 users need access to. From there the users have no access to the C drive.. yet can work with the Z drive... which is actually a folder on the C drive... when they leave the lab a Z drive will not map because that local folder does not exsisit.

still need more testing but this may work :)

Both of you get a cookie. Good tiems!

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back