Got Steam?

Kr0m

OSNN Veteran Addict
I'm glad I still refuse to use this program...

http://games.slashdot.org/

Steam Users Steamed

Posted by michael on Sunday January 30, @12:02AM
from the hot-topic dept.
KrunchTime writes "The Steam network seems to be having some problems tonight. This is not good new for fans of counter-strike, day of defeat and other half-life mods. Some people seem to be able to log on fine while others, like me :(, cannot connect at all. The steam forums were filling up with invective when I was last able to get on. The forums now seem to have imploded under the strain of complaints. The question that was being asked most is why there isn't more redundancy on the log-in side of steam. They say that if one of the master servers goes down that the accounts held there become unavailable immediately. The other big problem is that while the Steam network is down even the offline games are unplayable. There was no sign of responses from Valve staff or forum moderators."

http://games.slashdot.org/

sounds bogus. :p
I've never had problems connecting to the steam client nor any of the game servers.
Also, offline mode games no longer require you to log into steam as far as I know.

CS was working fine for me last night, but then there is a time difference.
Just because people on the Steam forums were complaining... no point checking tho as people are always complaining there ... given up going there :)

Didn't have problems either. In any case, servers go down, the guys on the steam forums should all take a step back and take a breath of fresh air once in a while.

uhm yeah

its counterstrike ûûûûûûûs we're talking about here....

not brain cell in sight :D

People should learn to check the status page to see if Steam is down, having problems or if it is just their computer before posting in the Steam forums. If the status page shows Steam network is up and no major spikes then they need to look at their own PC or ISP as the problem and not the Steam network.

I have seen people on the Steam forum write "it is not my PC" but when you give them the link to the status page and they see Steam has been running with zero problems then they come back saying "I better go check what wrong with my PC" or something similar.

I have never had one problem with the steam servers. I was quickly playing hl2 the night it was released and never have problems connecting ever. All my problems are game/content related with steam/valve games but the servers have never been a problem

I have had steam for quite a while and never had problems with connecting (except the night when hl2 came out). Steam is a wonderful program that is really blossoming into the future of gaming imo. Valve has done a great job of fixing problems very quickly and making it a stable product (versus what it was ~2 years ago). It can only get better.

If it was posted on slashdot that Doom5 had been delayed, now, there would be people there flaming idsoftware for not living up to their promises. Funny tho :p

I don't trust Steam in the slightest and am amazed that people actually bought HL-2 over it instead of buying an actual CD. What happens when Steam, in all it's "bugginess" decides that it doesn't want you to have HL-2 anymore and says you can't redownload it. Yeah... You know it's going to happen, it's just a matter of when with that piece of junk people call a good program.

Doesn't make a difference if you have the CD or not in that case.
Not only have their been at least 100 meg of updates released, but you still need Steam to unlock it.

What I've been wondering is when I've had enough of HL2 how do I go about selling it??

Amm ... you sell your steam ID? Unless Valve devises a way for people to transfer the game tie-in to your account, I don't see any other way.

yeah you just have to sell your user account...transfer everything that way

But what about all your other games? If you are right then it sucs big time.

Kr0m said:
I guess all of those comments to this article over at slashdot claiming otherwise, are bogus then.

There are so many people that have the game, and for some reason there are a small amount of people that have some problem, probably their problem not valve's, that think that valve is bad, but think of how many people that have problems compared to happy ppl(like myself) For the most part people play their game and dont mind a glitch here and there. I love steam and have faith in it. Its just that one group of people that always popup from nowhere and ruin it for others by complaining about every little thing

Weasel said:
I don't trust Steam in the slightest and am amazed that people actually bought HL-2 over it instead of buying an actual CD. What happens when Steam, in all it's "bugginess" decides that it doesn't want you to have HL-2 anymore and says you can't redownload it. Yeah... You know it's going to happen, it's just a matter of when with that piece of junk people call a good program.
I bought HL2 through Steam then used the backup feature that Steam now has and I have all my games including HL2 on CD's.

Electronic Punk said:
Doesn't make a difference if you have the CD or not in that case.
Not only have their been at least 100 meg of updates released, but you still need Steam to unlock it.
I am not so sure about this if you use backup CD's made through Steam. I wanted to test the CD's I made so I removed Steam including all registry entries then re-installed. I then logged into my account and had no games in the games list yet so I shut down Steam then ran the CD's. After I was done putting my games back in off the CD's I started Steam in Offline mode and was able to play HL2. Maybe the CD's you make with the Steam backup utility puts the registry entries in too for all the games it backed up?

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back