Got hacked, you could get sued!

L

Lee

Got hacked, you could get sued!

That's right people, according to an article at vnunet news blog.

Home computer users could be sued if they allow their computers to be taken over and used by hackers, legal representatives speaking at the RSAConference in San Francisco have claimed.

A panel looking at the usefulness of insurance against cyber-crime discussed the likelihood of home users being sued if their computers were used to perform distributed denial of service (DDoS) attacks.

Read more

motherøøøøers, i'd like to see them try.

Thats like running over a child and sueing the parents for a broken windsheild.... which has in facted happened in england and the usa.

hmm... you get sued for being hacked?! Even if you put up a reasonable amount of defence to safeguard your machine?

I envision a new conglamerate: Law Firm / Tech Security Company....

Hire dudes to hack machines, and sic the law firm on em. ;)

ming said:
hmm... you get sued for being hacked?! Even if you put up a reasonable amount of defence to safeguard your machine?
Yeah I wonder what the limits are. The person that makes no attempt to secure their box I can see (similiar to leaving a loaded gun out for all to play with), but if you DO try and protect your box I'm not sure you should be responsible.

There is beauty in here. The "reasonable precautions" concept will protect you under the law. If you leave the keys in your car and it is stolen and kills someone you are liable. If you take the keys you are not liable.

The beauty of this is:
If I installed all the MS updates and SP2 but got hacked anyway. Using the tools provided by the "largest software manufacturer in the world" is taking reasonable precautions.

Soooo. If you got sued after being hacked with SP2, and the latest updates, both the victims and YOU could then sue microsoft for negligence. Wow, what a glorious can of worms. Get hacked and sue microsoft. I like it.

My server was hacked, can I sue the FreeBSD team or Sonicwall for not providing protection against hackers? Oh! And PHP for having security holes. This is getting out of control.

Nobody ever thinks to go after the perpetrators anymore. People want compensation, and they don't care who they get it from. Courts and lawyers are corrupt these days.

Weasel said:
My server was hacked, can I sue the FreeBSD team or Sonicwall for not providing protection against hackers? Oh! And PHP for having security holes. This is getting out of control.

What you mean your not microsoft stuff is not perfect what a damn shame all this time all we hear is how great all the linux and open source stuff is well god damn it sue them as well

hell sue anyone you can !!!!!!

lolol

This thread reminds me of the "Married With Children" episode where Al gets sued by a guy who broke into his house, for beating him up .... You can "try" and sue anyone these days. Most of the lawyers won't take your case unless they know they have a shot of winning though, expecially the ones who say "No Fee Unless We Get Money For You" ... I'm starting to sound like Edgar Snyder lol ..

so can we sue them for sueing us?? i mean if they're sueing us for a stupid reason then why not sue for another stupid reason :D

Kermit_The_Frog said:
What you mean your not microsoft stuff is not perfect what a damn shame all this time all we hear is how great all the linux and open source stuff is well god damn it sue them as well

hell sue anyone you can !!!!!!

lolol

:laugh: Good reply, man. :) And MS + remote admin = bleh.

Johnny said:
This thread reminds me of the "Married With Children" episode where Al gets sued by a guy who broke into his house, for beating him up ....

Well this is reality in the U.K., someone breaks into your house you touch them, you get sued.

They did slightly change the law recently, called, 'reasonable force', wtf is reasonable force, a slap?

I think this is all some kind of hype to boost firewall software.

Lee said:
Well this is reality in the U.K., someone breaks into your house you touch them, you get sued.

They did slightly change the law recently, called, 'reasonable force', wtf is reasonable force, a slap?

I think this is all some kind of hype to boost firewall software.

Sorry, slight correction there - they did NOT change the law at all. They just made it clear what you can and cannot do.

You can retaliate if you feel your life is being threatened. So, if a thief runs up the stairs chasing you, you can turn around and boot him down the stairs and not get sued. lol :p

Fishboy

You can sue someone for sueing you and win if their lawsuit is deemed frivolous.

You can also sue someone for wrongful prosecution (including the cops). They accuse you of breaking into their car and stealing their CD's and it was the other weird kid on the block.

Isn't the law wonderful. Only in the legal profession can you make a system where the failings of the product (the stupid laws on the books) make you rich.

If you do it in manufacturing nobody buys your product (GM/Ford/Chrysler tried it in the 70's and the Nissan and Toyota cleaned their clocks).

If you do it in software alternatives take over market share (Microsoft and Linux, low sales on mediocre sequels, etc).

If you do it in entertainment people pirate your music (P2P the one good song instead of buying 10 extra crappy ones on a CD. They used to sell songs as singles when i was a kid. Oh, hey, they started again because of P2P).

If you try an alternate solution in the legal system they call you a vigilante and throw your ass in jail.

WHAT A SYSTEM! You have to love it.

I think that this is all a load of bull***t. Intent has to be proved here i.e. you must have known that your machine is being used as a zombie, and by definition this must also be a provable element in court. It’s just not good enough for the complainant to say (for instance) that you have been negligent for not installing the correct spyware or virus protection software as these are ever moving targets.

Any brief worth his salt would defeat these arguments in seconds that is, in the western hemisphere where laws are relatively simple to both conduct and to remedy.

Elsewhere things are not that equal. There must be sooner or later a legal position that can be implemented across the planet in relation to the Internet or nothing will ever happen in this respect.

:) :) :)

No it is not Bull. It is on the statutes all over the USA. Google "Contributory negligence".

People have been sued and lost for:
-leaving keys in car and having it stolen and killing someone
-burglar falling through skylight and being injured
-idiot being burned by spilled coffee and suing McDonlads for making too hot coffee
-leaving loaded guns accessible and having a neighbor kid shoot himself
were the most pulicized stories (newspaper and radio, not just web) the list is endless.

The cases you quote fall mostly under the negligence banner. If I use you computer to steal $100k from whatever bank (even yours) without your knowledge, have you been negligent? Whilst I am certainly guilty of theft the evidence might point to you only on grounds of negligence, is it reasonable to use the Internet without taking simple precautions? I think not, so you may be right but then the level of expertise of the user would have to be taken into account, this is a diminishing returns scenario with the easiest computers to “hack” being used by the people with the least knowledge and hence the best defence. At this time no such case that I know of has successfully been proved in court. Added to this is the “security holes” in the operating systems concerned. Is the provider of such systems culpable? Well the answer is that this is untested as we are here talking about some of the most powerful corporations on the planet with their own expert legal departments dealing in millions of dollars a year.

Until this responsibility can be “pinned down” or apportioned somehow, nothing will happen as there is just not enough evidence. We will all pay for it as the case at the moment.

:) :) :rolleyes:

Hopefully this is just a way to scare users into updating and making sure their machines are clean. 99% of spyware/adware/malware/trojans/viruses are the users fault one way or the other be it not having updates or installing unknown "free" software.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back