Got a quick question about user names and passwords...anyone help?

M

Murkon

Just wondering how I can boot straight to desktop? I don't want to have to type in user names or passwords or anything like that!

I deleted all my accounts but it won't let me delete the one with my name on it and my admin account...also unchecked the option about showing the XP Logon screen. After all that I'm still in a Windows 2000 style log on and log off setup...

So how the heck do I set it up so I go straight to the desktop without having to type in a user name or password?

Thanks in advance!

-Murk

I'm not sure why you can't delete the account with your name on it. I did it by logging in as administrator, right clicking on 'my computer'> manage> 'local users and groups' branch> right clicking on my user name and deleting it. I now have two active accounts: Administrator and Guest, and i boot straight into XP now as "Administrator" (can't delete this account).

After I deleted my user account, i opened Window Explorer, went to Documents and Settings, and deleted the folder with that user name on it.

Thanks for the info...one more question...

Hey thanks for the info I'll try that.

One last question though - how can I move all my settings and email and all that good stuff to my admin account?

To move your emails follow this path: Open OE> Tools> Options> Maintenance> "store folder" button. You can move your Store folder someplace and then when you go into your admin account open OE and either import the messages or use that store folder location.

If you have a favorite theme all set up, right click on your desktop> properties> "save as" button. Save the theme file it creates somewhere and in the admin account find it and double click on to to load it.

To save your start menu options, open Windows Explorer and follow this path: x:\Documents and Settings\'user name'\start menu. Go in and move whatever is not in the admin start menu over to it.

Some things are just going to go back to defaults and you'll have to set them back up again.

there is a way to automatically loginto an account on startup, i can't remember wher i saw it tho.. damnit...

i know u can choose it if your account is the only one on the system... i will keep digging and let u know

Logging in on administrator

How do you log in as the admin. I have tried with user names; Administrator, Admin, adminstrator and admin. Is there somethng Im not doing?

It's Administrator. I have no idea why you couldn't log in, your spelling is correct. Make sure to capitalize it when you type it in. Don't know for sure if that makes a difference or not.

Do you have a password set for that account?

If you wish to login to your system without a password you will need to select the remove password option in User Accounts in Control Panel, however if you have multiple accounts you will need to remove the password for all, but you will be prompted for which account to use at the logon screen, if you want just one account to login and you do not require any other account you will need to delete or disable the remaining accounts from within computer management, another way of autologon is to add these to the registry, this will cuase the default user to autologin at all times, if you wish to use any other account you will need to change the autoadminlogon to 0, try using this as a last resort:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\Winlogon

Add Dword value with "AutoAdminLogon"="1"
Add String value with "DefaultPassword"="Your Password"
Add String value with "DefaultUserName"="Your UserName"

Hope this helps.

power toys

I was having the same login problem. To get rid of the logon screen i just download xp powertoys, went into tweakui and told it to log on automatically. Hope it helps.
TC

i'm pretty sure you can only log on as admin on XP home in safe mode or there are no other user accounts present

when i try to do it normally i get a messge like cannot log on due to account restrictions

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back