Google Web Accelerator (Beta)

NetRyder

Tech Junkie
Google Web Accelerator is an application that uses the power of Google's global computer network to make web pages load faster. Google Web Accelerator is easy to use; all you have to do is download and install it, and from then on many web pages will automatically load faster than before.

Google Web Accelerator uses various strategies to make your web pages load faster, including:

* Sending your page requests through Google machines dedicated to handling Google Web Accelerator traffic.
* Storing copies of frequently looked at pages to make them quickly accessible.
* Downloading only the updates if a web page has changed slightly since you last viewed it.
* Prefetching certain pages onto your computer in advance.
* Managing your Internet connection to reduce delays.
* Compressing data before sending it to your computer.
http://webaccelerator.google.com/

Just out today. Downloading it at the moment. Post your experiences. :)

intresting. but this is the easyest way to track what people like on the net and also to see what they are doing too LOL

Yeah, I sensed a bit of a privacy issue, but I'm willing to at least give it a try. I'm not really expecting any significant speed differences though. ;)

I am wondering if the larger your prefetch file gets, the slower the system gets?

I'll give it a twirl on my d'top tomorrow I spose.

I'll try it if it has an on off switch....otherwise, I'd advise against it

Not sure I want to see what Managing your Internet connection to reduce delays means.

Besides, all pages for me now load in a blink of an eye.

When you use Google Web Accelerator, Google servers receive and log your page requests. Page requests and data sent in encrypted form using an HTTPS connection will not go through Google. It is possible that some personally identifiable information could be sent to Google, if the information is sent without using an encrypted (HTTPS) connection.

Taken from the Privacy Policy.

Its all well and good panacing about this but every time you connect to a webserver a ton of personally identifiable information gets logged.

Google will store no more than that.

Try loading it then use it and then run Spybot - Search & Destroy. :D

I have started using it. I haven't noticed any changes yet. I also don't like the icon in the system tray. I want to get rid of that.

I don't really notice any speed bump. It might be more useful with slow broadband services. It also has a problem with visited links especially evident in phpBB based forums. It seems that all connections go through a google proxy of some sort. I wonder why.

Yeah, I've been using it since yesterday. Tried it on a slower wireless connection as well as the uber-high bandwidth connection on campus. Can't really notice much of a difference. Probably going to keep it around for another day or two and then uninstall it.

I have not read their TOS regarding web accelerator. If its like Marketscore and others they collect data regarding your surfing habits, browsing interests for products and goods and then they sell this information to 3rd party companies. Then you start seeing nice little pictures and advertisement showing up on your web pages of things your interested in.

Grandmaster said:
I think this is more for dial-up users...

But Google clearly says

Designed for Broadband – Web pages load even more quickly on DSL and cable connections

I don't think dial up users would be able to spare the bandwidth to prefetch pages anyway.

vern said:
But Google clearly says

I don't think dial up users would be able to spare the bandwidth to prefetch pages anyway.

My mistake then...I didn't really read the information from Google, just based it on previous "Web Accelerators" I've encountered. :lick:

it doesn't make tons of sense to me for a pre fetched page on a broadband connection.

this is the same thing as the "check for new pages" option if you click never.

then yo'll always get cache hits of every page you visit

*wonders if the google version recognizes new content through the "last update" (javascript:alert(document.lastModified) script*

Uh oh...some pretty significant privacy issues have already sprung up. :eek:

Much negative sentiment and reporting is swirling around the new Google WebAccelerator. I found it to offer very slight improvement in surfing speed over a cable connection. Others notice greater gains in that department. The most disturbing development is that some people have experienced the display of private pages—not their own—when using WA. Because Google relies on extensive caching to accomplish the speed-up, it is perhaps not surprising that some people have found themselves appearing to be logged into another user’s account in a discussion forum, for example. I have not seen anybody report that they are actually logged into somebody’s account, but it doesn’t need to go that deep to create damage. Viewing account settings and private messages is enough.
http://google.weblogsinc.com/entry/1234000173042449/
http://google.blognewschannel.com/i...05/much-controversy-over-googles-accelerator/

I just uninstalled it earlier today. Wasn't noticing any difference with it enabled anyway. :s

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back