News Google Planning Pay-Per-View Hollywood Movies

Google, who owns video sharing site YouTube, is reportedly in talks with major Hollywood studios to launch a global pay-per-view movie streaming service.

According to The Financial Times, the latest movies would be released on YouTube at the same time as the on iTunes, DVD and Blu-ray Disc. The FT also predicts that it would cost somewhere in the region of $5 to stream 'newer movies', presumably with older titles being potentially discounted below this. YouTube has already been beta-testing a movie rental service since January.

As DVD sales rapidly decline, the next few years will see a massive shift from physical media to online distribution - Blockbuster is already closing hundreds or even thousands of stores this year as it prepares to file for Chapter 11 bankruptcy in September. Movie subscription service Netflix is already "aggressively acquiring" the rights to stream movies, while movie/TV streaming website Hulu, owned by Walt Disney, News Corp and NBC, is planning on floating itself on the stock market.

The latest moves by Google to bring online movie rental to YouTube will mark another big step in the inevitable mass adoption of digital rather than physical media.

Source: The Financial Times (free sign-up required)

Sounds great, just wish the studios would get more on board. Trying to get them to use any new technology is such a process and they fight the whole way.

I dont think this will do well. I sure as hell won't pay for 1 view of a movie. For me, its either buy the dvd/blu-ray, wait for it to come on tv, or download it to own.

I don't either. I was being sarcastic with my post ...

Another netflix. That is all we need ...

What is wrong with Netflix? If only we had more companies like Netflix, maybe they could break the crazy deals the movie companies make against consumers.

I dont think this will do well. I sure as hell won't pay for 1 view of a movie. For me, its either buy the dvd/blu-ray, wait for it to come on tv, or download it to own.

Cheaper then going to the movies, and cheaper then buying a DVD if your not sure about the movie.

Sorry, didn't mean to quote your message.

It's cool dude, I should have cleared that up lol ...

What is wrong with Netflix? If only we had more companies like Netflix, maybe they could break the crazy deals the movie companies make against consumers.

I like netflix. I just find it funny that since they came out, there are copy cats. It is always like that. Some one comes up with something good and a million people have to follow it..

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back