google pay not gunning for paypal

Everything Google touches and does turns to gold, this should definitely be something interesting to keep tabs on :)

I bet paypal will be out of business in a year or two. Te after shock of that will cause the government to get involved. I can see the law suits now lol...

PayPal won't go away without a fight.

I do like PayPal myself, and have used it for years. But still, you have to get excited whenever Google takes on a new project :)

wwwdjrcs said:
Everything Google touches and does turns to gold, this should definitely be something interesting to keep tabs on :)
That's really subject to opinion. It used to be the case when they first started off (Search, Maps, Gmail etc.), but some of their latest stuff has been pretty lackluster - Reader had a clumsy UI, Talk is nice but far too basic, Desktop Search was okay but there are far better alternatives out there, Base was just weird and never really took off, the Pack was nothing more than a bundle of third-party products, and the Video Store is a joke (even they admitted that).

Honestly, the big Goog doesn't have the same effect on me as it used to. I'll need to see this before I can actually get excited about it. Besides, PayPal has been around for years, and it does its job just fine.

NetRyder said:
That's really subject to opinion. It used to be the case when they first started off (Search, Maps, Gmail etc.), but some of their latest stuff has been pretty lackluster - Reader had a clumsy UI, Talk is nice but far too basic, Desktop Search was okay but there are far better alternatives out there, Base was just weird and never really took off, the Pack was nothing more than a bundle of third-party products, and the Video Store is a joke (even they admitted that).

Honestly, the big Goog doesn't have the same effect on me as it used to. I'll need to see this before I can actually get excited about it. Besides, PayPal has been around for years, and it does its job just fine.

I agree. im in love with google but thats just until there is something better. Though i think they have many years until they get too top heavy to survive.

NetRyder said:

Good point.

I am more excited to see how it turns out when "The Goog" as you called it tries to add-in a new service.

In response to your comments of lackluster performance, perhaps this will be their next big thing :)

I can see it now, spam e-mails where people will put in their account information and Identities will get stolen. I hope the phishing filter(s) are working by then...

i hope google goes forth with this, firstly i think they will give us better deals than paypal, i mean come on they rob you to recieve money, anyways the only problem i see with this is ebay not accepting google as a method of payment unless google grows so big that they have to, lets face it they own paypal

NetRyder said:

Thing is, some of these projects that people are talking about were done in 20% time, so they never really went through most of the google UI "inspection". I agree however that the latest stuff has taken a big dive. You can't really criticize Google desktop, it was the first one to come out with desktop searching. If you had said that they have not updated, I would agree, but I think they themselves can see that Microsoft can do a better job, since Microsoft knows the API and internals like no other.

Base is an interesting idea, it let's you post any arbitrary data, add tags, and other information, and then have the Google database store it, and if it is useful for a search done by a user, show it as a possible result. I can still see it working.

Google Pack even-though it is just a bundle of third party stuff, is extremely easy for me to deploy, as it keeps everything in the pack neatly up to date, meaning I have less work to do as a tech guy. I don't think it was meant to be really anything more.

Talk is one app I have not used, but for some reason it appeals to my brothers and sister, and my dad's fiancee because there are almost no buttons at all, everything is simple and straight forward, it almost requires no thinking.

As for Pay-Pal, I just don't know. I have seen people's accounts become frozen just because they sold something for $1500 on eBay, which was valid. Pay-Pal still does not really have a good reputation, it is however still the biggest because eBay owns them. We will see what happens when Google Pay comes out, for now I will wait.

X-Istence said:
Thing is, some of these projects that people are talking about were done in 20% time, so they never really went through most of the google UI "inspection". I agree however that the latest stuff has taken a big dive. You can't really criticize Google desktop, it was the first one to come out with desktop searching. If you had said that they have not updated, I would agree, but I think they themselves can see that Microsoft can do a better job, since Microsoft knows the API and internals like no other.

Base is an interesting idea, it let's you post any arbitrary data, add tags, and other information, and then have the Google database store it, and if it is useful for a search done by a user, show it as a possible result. I can still see it working.

Google Pack even-though it is just a bundle of third party stuff, is extremely easy for me to deploy, as it keeps everything in the pack neatly up to date, meaning I have less work to do as a tech guy. I don't think it was meant to be really anything more.

Talk is one app I have not used, but for some reason it appeals to my brothers and sister, and my dad's fiancee because there are almost no buttons at all, everything is simple and straight forward, it almost requires no thinking.

As for Pay-Pal, I just don't know. I have seen people's accounts become frozen just because they sold something for $1500 on eBay, which was valid. Pay-Pal still does not really have a good reputation, it is however still the biggest because eBay owns them. We will see what happens when Google Pay comes out, for now I will wait.
Whether a project was done in 20% time or not doesn't really mean anything to the end-user. If it's not good enough, it's not good enough, and that's all people are going to care about at the end of the day.

Microsoft didn't do a better job with desktop search because they had access to undocumented APIs, by the way. Google's biggest mistake was to adopt the same web search paradigm for their desktop search product. It worked great on the web, but it just doesn't work on the desktop - you essentially end up seeing search results as hyperlinks to files on a webpage. You can't interact with those files in any way other than opening them. No context-menus to copy/paste files, no drag-and-drop etc. Copernic, X1 and several other desktop search products used documented Windows APIs (the same ones Microsoft used in WDS) to create shell namespace extensions, which is the right approach to take, because that allows users to interact with the files like they're files, not files like they're hyperlinks.

My point wasn't to bash any of their other products either, so I won't go into any details about them. All I'm saying is the products coming out of the company are very different from what they used to be. And there's nothing wrong with that. I have yet to see a company that's not had a few failures during its lifetime. Just saying that there's no point hyping something up before we know anything about it. It only leads to disappointment if the product doesn't meet the incredibly high expectations that people set for it. See what happened to their stock? It's not like they were doing badly; it's just that they didn't meet expectations.

I'm all for a PayPal competitor, and I'll be looking forward to seeing how this one turns out. :)

Last edited:

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back