Google Maps Beta With Satellite Imaging

gonaads

Beware the G-Man
Political Access
Has anyone checked this out?

Google Maps has Sat imaging ta find all kinds of stuff. Kinda freaky. Unfortunately U.S. only.

http://maps.google.com/

yah been playing with it the last 2 days. soo freaking coool allthough wish it went in one more zoom hehe. Is there anyother programs out there that can go any closer? or is that the set distance for general use?>

VenomXt said:
yah been playing with it the last 2 days. soo freaking coool allthough wish it went in one more zoom hehe. Is there anyother programs out there that can go any closer? or is that the set distance for general use?>

I think it's probably due to security reasons. Me thinks, anyway.

There are also limitations on certain areas depicted by a green and/or dark green shading. You can zoom in normally but it is blured.

NetRyder said:
I prefer TerraServer for satellite imaging. It zooms in much more...to the point where you can actually count the number of cars in a parking lot. ;)
http://terraserver.microsoft.com/
Just checked it out and to be honest looks same as googles. Only with google I can drag the map. :p

Xie said:
Just checked it out and to be honest looks same as googles. Only with google I can drag the map. :p
how do you get that close with googles?

You don't. Google's is like 1 zoom less. But it's a beta, maybe later on it will change.

Well then, I guess this revives it. :D

gonaads said:
I think it's probably due to security reasons. Me thinks, anyway.

There are also limitations on certain areas depicted by a green and/or dark green shading. You can zoom in normally but it is blured.

Nope, that is the max zoom they can do with the camera's on the sattelites.TerraServer uses the USGS (SP) aerial photograhs. Which seem to be quite old, at least for my house, 1995.

If it was security, why can i easily check out the white house in washington DC? Or any of the other "secure locations" that were grayed out on other providers?

im using the trial view of keyhole 2. acually a pretty neat prog. check it out for 7 days. can get in alittle closer then use digital zoom in more lol .

Xie said:
Find a university campus. Look for a parking lot. Zoom in as much as you can on both of them. You'll see the difference. You can actually count the number of cars of each color with the TerraServer images. It's that clear. :)

NetRyder said:
Find a university campus. Look for a parking lot. Zoom in as much as you can on both of them. You'll see the difference. You can actually count the number of cars of each color with the TerraServer images. It's that clear. :)
Find me an example [link]. :p I tried it w/ my house and was better/closer w/ google IMHO.

Here's an example (it's a small part of the UCLA campus, by the way) :)

Google image (maximum zoom):

TerraServer image showing the same level of detail:

TerraServer image (maximum zoom):

What did you try?

Ok found a university. Look at both terraserver & google and looks like terraserver has a more "top down" shot where google is ever so slightly at an angle (hardly noticable). As for detail they are both just about the same zoom really. Google gets the edge though as it's in color and makes details a bit easier to see. :)

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back