google desktop search

Perris Calderon

dealer
Staff member
Political Access
has anyone been using this yet?

how is it...memory, cpu useage, stuff like that

thanx in advance

ha...so far when I use google, what's on my hardrive becomes part of the results page

it tries to send something somewhere every time I visit a new site;

[11/20/2004 2:05:27 PM]

Direction: outgoing
Local Point: 0.0.0.0, port 1874
Adapter: ORiNOCO PC Card (5 volt) - Packet Scheduler Miniport
Remote Point: 131.107.102.111, port http [80]
Protocol: TCP

[11/20/2004 2:06:57 PM]

Direction: outgoing
Local Point: 0.0.0.0, port 1910
Adapter: ORiNOCO PC Card (5 volt) - Packet Scheduler Miniport
Remote Point: 205.177.13.179, port http [80]
Protocol: TCP

Application path: C:\Program Files\Google\Google Desktop Search\GoogleDesktopIndex.exe
Description: googledesktopindex
File version:
Created: 2004/11/20, 18:31:09
Modified: 2004/11/20, 18:31:09
Accessed: 2004/11/20, 18:31:25

RuleId = 134217749

etc

I can't use it since it's incompatible with NOD32.
I'm fine with Ava Find and Copernic Desktop Search though. The first one allows me to instantly search for any file on my drive by name; the latter indexes all my documents, emails etc, so that I can search for content within them. Excellent combination.

I'm waiting to see how the MSN Desktop Search will be. It's scheduled for a December beta release.

I don't even notice it's running. Only time you do notice any slowdown is the first few minutes you have it installed and it has to index a lot at once. I wonder when updates are going to come ... or are the updates streamed in? Oh well ...

well, the search is instantaneous so far...I think I like it...it even searches through my emai accounts on a phrase search

I think I'll turn of indexing service

this thing is looking better and better...only 560 k of memory, no cpu useage when I'm not searching...super fast search on my hardrive

this is very sweet...I blocked internet access, so no concern there

the only real problem I have is thing actually needs to open the internet browser to search my hardrive...I wish it had it's own interface

I'm recomending this to everyone who can try it...it's free right now

I tried it ... but when I saw the reports about how it saves all your data and keeps it there, even when you delete it, I quit using it ..

I can find any file on my comuter and shred it..that's not the security issue as I see it.

johnny did alert me to researrch the security issues that do exist, so thanx for alerting my spidey sense johnny

the real security issue is when you use a publiuc computer on a public network...you always need to look to see if the google desktop icon is running, and you need to dissable it.

that's the only security issue I've researched so far, but it's good to know

I would alsways check taskmanager on a public computer regardless, there are too many programs that could be running that are security risks.

I love this program so far

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back