Google Chrome ... A browser to compete with FF and IE ...

Johnny

.. Commodore ..
Political Access
It appears the google is releasing it's own browser today. It is called chrome. I am so over this.

24458v1.jpg

Google Chrome is an open source browser based on Webkit and powered by Google Gears. It was accidentally announced prematurely on September 1, 2008 and slated for release the following day. It premiers originally on Windows only, with Mac and Linux versions to come later.

Features include:
  • Tabbed browsing where each tab gets its own process, leading to faster and more stable browsing. If one tab crashes, the whole browser doesn’t go down with it
  • A distinct user interface that places tabs on top of the browser window instead of right below the address bar
  • An “incognito” mode that lets you browse the web in complete privacy because it doesn’t record any of your activity
  • A new JavaScript engine built from the ground up for speed
  • Malware and phishing lists that automatically update themselves and warn you of bad websites
  • A default homepage that displays your most commonly used sites and other personalized information
More info here: http://googleblog.blogspot.com/2008/09/fresh-take-on-browser.html
Here is a link to the google Chrome comicbook: http://www.google.com/googlebooks/chrome/index.html

Looks slick. I'll have to try it out... Don't Google and Mozilla have a pretty strong relationship? Seems odd to be in competition suddenly.

I can't find a download, if someone gets it hang on to it they might take it down if there's too much action

I am always impressed with the googles so I think this browser will be a pleasant surprise and will surely rasie the browser bar

remember though, if all tabs have their own process this is going to be a memory beast

The download will be availible some time today, perris.

Hah! Page 3 of the comic. The address bar on the cartoon browser in the last frame, "http://www.wtf???.com". Hah!

indeed - I am using it now - one of the best things may be the independent tabs - also if I use this as a complementary browser I can adjust different windows with different volumes on the mixer....

I have it installed and am liking it so far. I'll be playing with it .. It is nice looking ...

[edit]This is nice and smooth. Kinda fast also ...

I found a feature on this I really like.

When you go to put text in the box for posts, you can click the bottom corner and ajust the size of it lol ...

Found things I don't like:

No refresh button in right click menu.
It checks spelling, but doesn't give you an option to correct it.
The buttons aren't customizable. (this is minor, but it would still be nice)

For being beta, it is still really nice. I am sure it will get better as it grows.

I will post more +/- as I find them ...

Last edited by a moderator:
looks good, and very promising :D

would like it if it imported all my cookies to save me trying to remember all my login details :p

I found another negative - it doesn't store logins ...

[edit] I take that back: It won't store logins for every site. I think that has to do with the particular site [/edit]

[edit][edit] I wish the speed dial would work better [/edit][/edit]

Very clean looking in Vista. I really like having my tabs at the top, above the address bar.

Nothing bad to say about it so far. Only thing that would really keep me using Firefox is Adblock.

looks good i'll give it a go.

looks good. I'll try it out for bit and see how it goes :D

I like the idea of separating each tab into a separate process.

It's seeming to be using US spelling dictionaries though.

I like dragging the tab out of the window to create a new window.. and being able to drag the tab back into another window.

very slick.

I like dragging the tab out of the window to create a new window.. and being able to drag the tab back into another window.

very slick.

Yeah, was playing around with that. Very nice. Got a problem with the scroll wheel on the MS mouse ATM and scrolling pages. Gonna check it out. Anyone else have scrolling problems?

Yeah, was playing around with that. Very nice. Got a problem with the scroll wheel on the MS mouse ATM and scrolling pages. Gonna check it out. Anyone else have scrolling problems?

It has been working fine with my Razer DeathAdder.

The browser looks promising and it's great for a first release but it's lacking a few things I very much require. Given time I'm sure it'll get better. :)

I can deff see with good updates; this thing over taking ff :)

I gotta say this is very nice. It has a smooth feel, its fast and the minimalism is incredible. I'm sticking with Firefox for day to day tasks but I agree with what Johnny just said.

Working pretty nice here..only thing i dislike is the google update they put in the windows start-up.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back