Good partition scheme for 80gig drive?

D

Digerati

Just got a new 80gb Seagate Barracuda IV.

I want to have XPpro on a seperate partition so if I ever need to reinstall the OS, I don't lose everything else.

What do you think is a good size partition to just hold the OS and stuff?
is 5 gigs too little or too much?

Thanks!

ok if you using FAT32

a bit on the small side for NTFS

IMHO

:cool:

Maybe a 20 gig partition for Windows and all your software.
Rest of the 60 gigs for downloads, documents, backups, music etc.

Sound good?

yep :D

I would also recommend moving a couple space hogging files off there

pagefile & temporary internet files

better still if ya stick em in their own partition

:cool:

Personally, over 60gb (40+20) i have.

8GB for Windows and Applications
10GB for files i need to keep in the event of a format (documents, downloaded installers, etc)
30GB for Media, mp3/DivX and so on.
12gb for FreeBSD :D

I like to create a partition just for installation of programs, so my windows partition has the least amount of fragmentation as possible. I also redirect my temp file directories to that drive as well; I even change my desktop path to my "data" drive since I use it often and I don't want to clutter up my windows partition. See the pic for my new drive configuration as of this morning, the SWAP on my primary drive should probably be at the beginning of the drive but I don't really feel like moving it at the moment. Also it would probably be more efficient to have the "Programs" partition on the other disk as well.

Next time I format It will be like this:
Primary: OS, Documents, SWAP
Secondary: Programs, DATA, SWAP

All partitions are using cluster sizes of 64k.

But you have to reinstall most of your software if you format Windows anyway, which is why I leave software on the same partition as Windows.

I would merely suggest a second hard drive: one for OS's and programs and the other for documents and other irreplaceable files. Then, if one or the other hard drive fails, at least you have some room for maneuvering.

Melon

Originally posted by melon
I would merely suggest a second hard drive: one for OS's and programs and the other for documents and other irreplaceable files. Then, if one or the other hard drive fails, at least you have some room for maneuvering.

Melon

Agreed ... that's the best way to go :)

Originally posted by NetRyder
But you have to reinstall most of your software if you format Windows anyway, which is why I leave software on the same partition as Windows.
I agree.

I have found that if I keep my windows partition free of programs and other stuff that can be moved, I find that my 'puter itself runs more effeciently. 5 gigs of NTFS partition is big enough for the XP installation. Here is how I set up my partitions.

Heeter

everything is MY MY MY, My Doc, My Games. is that all you people think about ME ME ME? he he just kidding.

here's my partition for my 80GB wd hdd

10GB for System

20GB for Games / Program Files

20GB for mp3/mtv

30 gb for movies/drama/ download stuff

i have a 10 gig partition for windows and 70 gig for all my programs and other stuff

Just a random question if you have all your programs installed on the second drive or partition, and you need to reinstall windows don't you have to reinstall all the programs? If so what is the point in installing the programs on a different partition?

a lot of programs doesnt requir reinstalling, but a few do.

Originally posted by Capalass
Just a random question if you have all your programs installed on the second drive or partition, and you need to reinstall windows don't you have to reinstall all the programs? If so what is the point in installing the programs on a different partition?

That's the reason I keep them on the same partition. :)

quite lotta program doesn't require any new installation as well as games too. that's y i seperate it. Anyway, it depends on the user, some format together with it and install a fresh copy of it but in such case i don't.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back