Good or Bad Buy - GeCube 9600xt

Dobes

OSNN Newbie
I was thinking of buying the Radeon 9600xt 256mb card by GeCube which is priced at £105 on Dabs. Would this be a good or bad buy or should I wait to see if the higher spec cards come down in price. Thanks

http://www.dabs.com/uk/channels/components/graphicscards/productView.htm?quicklinx=30RR

Header / Compatibility PC
Header / Manufacturer DabsValue
Header / Model Radeon 9600XT
Header / Packaged Quantity 1
Header / Product Line Dabsvalue
System Requirements / OS Required Microsoft Windows Millennium Edition
System Requirements / OS Required Microsoft Windows 2000 / XP
Video Input / Type None
Video Memory / Installed Size 128 MB
Video Memory / Technology DDR SDRAM
Video Output / Form Factor Plug-in card
Video Output / Graphics Processor / Vendor ATI RADEON 9600 XT
Video Output / Interface Type AGP 8x
Video Output / Max Resolution (external) 2048 x 1536
Video Output / Multiple Monitors Support Yes
Video Output / TV Interface TV out
Video Output / Type Graphics adapter
Item Value
Device Type Graphics adapter
Enclosure Type Plug-in card
Interface Type AGP 8x
Compatibility PC
Graphics Processor / Vendor ATI RADEON 9600 XT
RAMDAC Clock Speed 400 MHz
Video Memory Installed ( Max ) 128 MB DDR SDRAM - integrated
Max Resolution (external) 2048 x 1536 / 60 Hz
Colours Max Resolution (external) 24-bit (16.7 million colours)
API Supported OpenGL, DirectX
Multiple Monitors Support Yes
Max Monitors Supported 2
TV Interface TV out
Analogue Video Format RGB, S-Video, composite video
Digital Video Standard Digital Visual Interface (DVI)
Interfaces 1 x VGA - 15 pin HD D-Sub (HD-15) ¦ 1 x S-video output ¦ 1 x DVI-I - 29 pin combined DVI ¦ 1 x composite video output - RCA ( on supplied cable ) ¦ 1 x VGA - 15 pin HD D-Sub (HD-15) ( with adapter )
Compatible Slots 1 x AGP
Cables Included 1 x video cable ¦ 1 x DVI-VGA adapter
Software Included Drivers & Utilities
OS Required Microsoft Windows Millennium Edition, Microsoft Windows 2000 / XP
Peripheral / Interface Devices CD-ROM, DVD-ROM
System Requirements Details Windows 2000/ME/XP - RAM 128 MB

Nice, I remember 9600xt's costing around £140 a few months back. Looks like a good buy.

but i think the 128 ver has 2.6ns ram compared to 4ns wif the 256....just what i saw at an ad...

hey guys, since u probably saw my thread with my dead gfx card, i need to get a graphics card for this year only till i get to college in the states or canada where ever i go when ill build a new SUPER COMPUTER! hehe, so i was thinking the 9600xt 256mb would be a very good buy since now its around 140 dollars. so i search new egg and saw some, but question is, which brand is the best one, like ati, power color, gecube, i saw many,. Sazar i expect u in here the first one hehe love ya man (for advice and such, not in a homo way) lol! thanks in advance again guys! remember 256mb one not the 128

you might want to wait and see what prices you can get the 6600GT or pro for from nvidia or see what prices ati cards will come down to in the next month or so as their higher end cards come into wider production...

the 256mb memory will not likely help this particular product much in games simply because it does not have the horsepower to utilise the memory to provide adequate performance @ high res/high lod situations where the memory is warranted and needed...

in light of this it is better for you to get a 128mb version and save some money if you intend to get this product...

in the interim till you built a new super computer :cool: you cna always get a cheaper card and run with it till you finalise plans for what you wil want to get and budget accordingly..

wrt build quality almost all the cards follow the same design so I don't think you are going to loose out on QC.. its a question of the overall package and warranty...

-edit-

the 5900XT's from nvidia are looking like they are priced well.. give em a decko... keep in mind most can be flashed to 5900 ultra level cards :)

well the 256 isnt bad in price its around 140-150 dollars, so i was thinking of getting that which should inshallah last me this year, i have bad experiances with computer hardware lol! until i get to the states. i wanna be able to play doom3 and stuff, shouldnt it get a lil better performance atleast from the 128 version? well if u said that then im ganna just check on the packages that come from newegg, btw how will i know if i get the half life 2 coupon with it, will it state it in the newegg product specs?

hey sazar i cant find out what to get sazar can u shed some light, would i be better off getting the 256mb with 128bit version? or should i get the 128mb with 256bit version, which one will get me better performance and quality

256bit is better... performance will be better coz of extra bandwidth as a general rule of thumb when applied to video cards... all else being equal...

its basically a risk you are going to have to take and live with...

some of them mod well... there are a few guides to go by... read up and go with it :)

I have no experience with these products so i can't say anything one way or the other... sry...

so just to get me off ur back which card do u recommend? can u also specify which brand of it eg gecube or powercolor

they all are pretty much following the reference design..

I am more familiar in america with powercolor than gecube but I can't really say one is definitely better than the other...

you can try your luck with the 9800se if you wanted to... the card should perform about the same as a 9600xt or so stock anyways...

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back