Good News - In My Opinion

American Zombie

Staff member
Political Access
Army Spc. Charles Graner Jr., the reputed ringleader of a band of rogue guards at the Abu Ghraib prison, was convicted Friday of abusing Iraqi detainees in a case that sparked international outrage when photographs were released that showed reservists gleefully torturing prisoners.

Graner, the first soldier to be tried on charges arising from the scandal, was convicted of all five charges and faces up to 17 1/2 years behind bars.

"ringleader of a band of rogue guards " isn't the right discription...I believe these guards were acting under direct orders.

direct orders gives them no quarter however...just as the Nazi war criminals couldn't use the " I was acting under orders" defense, nor can these soldiers.

the term "rogue" is intended to isolate the commanding officers from the actions of these soldiers.

the commanding officers cannot be isolated from the verdict yet, that will remain to be seen...and then we'll see if those higher then the immediate Co's are accountable

this is gonna get ugly in the world opinion of America

perris said:
direct orders gives them no quarter however...just as the Nazi war criminals couldn't use the " I was acting under orders" defense, nor can these soldiers.
Not acurate, they kinda can and kinda did.

Ya know... I sure hope people dont form their opinion of America from a handful of sick people. It already pisses me off that people sterotype all americans as greedy and imperialistic. as I am sure you can guess not everyone agrees with the foreign policy or anything else that our government does. But we only have to wait 4 more years then we get a real leader.. not a child. (yeah I voted for Kerry) Us Americans arnt that bad.... People are giving us crap for invading Iraq and Afganistan (and I am not gonna go into that) There are good reasons and bad ones.... But atleast we are staying through the heavy losses and seeing it through. If we left now it would be worse then it was before and never get better. (it already is... but that is the course of rebuilding) Well, I am done ranting and I seem to of forgot my point.... oh yeah, heh. Dont judge a country full of millions of good people from a handful of sick soilders.

The USA is soo catch 22 its retarded the rest of the world hates us for doing things "to help" and not doing enough to help. We cant win with anyone. Were damn if we do and damned if we don't I've learned to live with the fact they most of the world is going to hate us no matter what we do. Theres really no reason to get upset with anyone, that wont change the fact that they hate us....for well being us.

I dont hate america for doing too little in nearly any situation of humaniarian aid or something like that.

Its things like Kyoto (yeah it still pisses me off) and that US Citizens cannot be tried in the International Criminal Court and things like that. Its when america acts soully for itself, and ignores the rest of the world, then when they want help from the rest of the world they try to act as if they have always been nice. Like after x number of years finally paying their United Nations dues. Thats the sort of thing that I dont like about america, and just about all of that is foreign policy, so doesnt greatly reflect on the actual people of the country, though some of the american accents do make me cringe.

The US has pumped out hundereds of billions of dollars over the years to help out people. We ask for nothing in return... Dont you think a little "Sure, even though we dont agree.. we can help ya out a little" would be O.K.? I am not defending the recent decisions of our government.. I just mean in general. I dont want to get in an agurment I am simply trying to state that what we try to do is for the most part for the embetterment of the world. Sure some people might have hidden agendas or motivations, but that will never go away.

I agree, some of our accents make me cringe to, but then you guys have got Pikey and Scottish, which makes us say "are they speaking English?"

As far as rogue soldiers? the Architect of the military persuasion. Has just been nominated for Attorney General, Alberto Gonzalez. What is Bush thinking? Who knows. But the hint that he knew nothing of this is absurd

whats that movie called with samuel L jackson and tommy lee jones.
rules of engagement?
ya..

the US is obviously out to set an example.

yea, sorry about the movie reference...but i do believe he is being made as an example.

Aprox said:
The US has pumped out hundereds of billions of dollars over the years to help out people. We ask for nothing in return... Dont you think a little "Sure, even though we dont agree.. we can help ya out a little" would be O.K.? I am not defending the recent decisions of our government.. I just mean in general. I dont want to get in an agurment I am simply trying to state that what we try to do is for the most part for the embetterment of the world. Sure some people might have hidden agendas or motivations, but that will never go away.

USAID's budget alone is $5billion/year. This doesnt count the State departments aid contributions or private donations.

Hmm

falconguard said:
I agree, some of our accents make me cringe to, but then you guys have got Pikey and Scottish

And what might be wrong with the Scottish accent :laugh:

well scottish is scottish really, what you really need to try is broad northumbrian, now theres one I honestly can understand a word of :p

dont get me wrong, the US AID money is great, and I think its great that they do that. Its other aspects of the foreign policy that make me fume. That said the current government in the UK I am not overly pleased with, a lot of that stems from it acting like Americas poodle

we provide a lot of aid... the ask for nothing in return is extremely mis-leading though... while we provide the most aid in sheer monetary value... we also require purchase of items from the US itself which in most instances means the aid can't be used to purchase cheaper/local products...

however the US people themselves provide the largest amount of charity aid in the world in donations to organisations like red cross and others.. and THAT is a wonderful contribution :)

thekore said:
And what might be wrong with the Scottish accent :laugh:

I for one like the sound, just can't figure out a damned word

I just dislike some of the government's 'tactics' in certain situations. The government alone. Not the people of America (regardless if that they voted them into power).

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back