Good free DVD player

WMP requires 3rd party MPEG-2 decoders (WinDVD, PowerDVD, or nvDVD are all good choices but not free) but I am not sure about VLC.

Anyway "Good DVD" and "Free" should never really be used in the same sentence as MPEG-2 (what DVD uses) is a patented technology and there is heavy royalties involved in licensing it. Any free DVD software is illegal and probably buggy if it works at all. Odds are it wont be able to play encrypted DVD at all as well.

Yeah, you can buy only the filters from a few places.
I seem to remember sonic, intervideo and cyberlink doing this but dn't know if they still do.

Then you can use them with Zoom Player :)

I am fairly sure that autopatcher xp patches media player so it can play dvds

generalleoff said:
WMP requires 3rd party MPEG-2 decoders (WinDVD, PowerDVD, or nvDVD are all good choices but not free) but I am not sure about VLC.

VLC doesn't need any 3rd party decoders. It uses libdvdcss, libdvdplay and other libraries.
Works flawlessly for all the DVDs that I've tried.
smile.gif

NetRyder said:
VLC doesn't need any 3rd party decoders. It uses libdvdcss, libdvdplay and other libraries.
Works flawlessly for all the DVDs that I've tried.
smile.gif
Not to mention that it's multi-region without any extra hacks or apps (you have no idea how much of a blessing that is on OSX.. we don't have DVD Genie :p :D)

NetRyder said:
It's great. Just get a nice skin for it, and you're set.
grin.gif
Right will ownload it I will have to see how the multispeaker support is in dvds as I have 6.1

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back