Good bye M$ Antispyware, It don't detect Claria (Gator) anymore ..

Johnny

.. Commodore ..
Political Access
So here's the story: Microsoft is developing his AntiSpyware tool. Some people says Microsoft will buy Claria (formerly known as Gator), an Adware developer. The last version of AntiSpyware don't deactivate Claria software.

http://www.eweek.com/article2/0,1759,1833649,00.asp

Of course M$ thinks they are doing this for the good, and are completely innocent. Looks to me like they are adding more spyware to there OS .. I also think it's funny how they are trying to fight spyware by buying the biggest company in the world ...

Also, I took out M$ Antispyware and refuse to put it back in .. Smart people would do that same ..

[edit] I'm sorry, I just knoticed another post about this. Someone merge this with it, or delete it. Which ever you prefer [/edit]

Yeah, they just make it as spyware that shows up with the defualt option as "ignore" they arent going to take it out of its scan list, just tell people that its spyware and can be ignored. I personally dont like the idea, but its better than them taking it out of the def files

Personally I think M$ Antispyware is awesome. There is not ANY tool that has 100% detection success, but this one is a great alternative. Mostly because it has real-time protection, is free, and will never be a paid for service. You have to also enjoy how it will be integrated with the Windows OS in the future. This topic, similar to the IE vs Firefox is only opinion.

zeke_mo said:
Yeah, they just make it as spyware that shows up with the defualt option as "ignore" they arent going to take it out of its scan list, just tell people that its spyware and can be ignored. I personally dont like the idea, but its better than them taking it out of the def files
My feelings exactly. I'm not too happy, but it could be worse. It's not the end of the world. Not going to stop using the product just because they changed the "recommended" option.

It still detects it... I doubt MS will buy out Claria, if they do, do you really think that MS will put out spyware? Come on...

Johnny said:
Looks to me like they are adding more spyware to there OS
You can't be serious...

I also think it's funny how they are trying to fight spyware by buying the biggest company in the world ...
As of now, it's a rumour. That's all it is.

Also, I took out M$ Antispyware and refuse to put it back in .. Smart people would do that same ..
Actually, smart people would:
1) use common sense and not agree to install shady software and ActiveX controls
2) use a layered approach to security by using antivirus/firewall software and more than one anti-spyware application, realizing that they each detect something the others miss.

Nice knee-jerk reaction though...

Well to me at least it does add another piece of the whole puzzle of M$ vs spyware and the rumor of M$ buying claira, however as long it still detects it I'm happy with it even though I don't agree with the setting change for it

From a recent report I'm hearing, MSFT will not be acquiring Claria. Might appear on the larger news sites soon.

i've just uninstal the microasoft antispyware.

this thing would scan y computer everynight at 2am and find nothing.

i decided yesterday to install ad-aware and it finds 12 new objects.

many cookies but two bho's

going to use the combo of ad-aware, spysweeper and spybot

rest in peace giant (the best)

egghead said:
i've just uninstal the microasoft antispyware.

this thing would scan y computer everynight at 2am and find nothing.

i decided yesterday to install ad-aware and it finds 12 new objects.

many cookies but two bho's

going to use the combo of ad-aware, spysweeper and spybot

rest in peace giant (the best)

Well the default scan type for MS Antispyware is set to Intelligent Quick Scan, which is the type that runs at 2AM. This can, and should be adjusted to "Full System Scan". It takes a bit longer, but since it runs at 2AM and most people (not all, but most) are not using their machines, that should be fine. If you do use it at 2AM, change the time to when you don't.

I found the program to start slowing my PC down. It also didn't play well with some others. For example, I had to shut it down to use Powerdvd. There are a couple more programs it did this with as well. I uninstalled it and quit using it ..

Johnny said:
I found the program to start slowing my PC down. It also didn't play well with some others. For example, I had to shut it down to use Powerdvd. There are a couple more programs it did this with as well. I uninstalled it and quit using it ..

It's a very small program, while it could effect PowerDVD, I don't really see it slowing down your PC that much that you would notice a difference after removing it. Have you thought about upgrading from 512MB?

I did think about upgrading the ram. That is going to wait till I get my new PC ..

Johnny said:
I did think about upgrading the ram. That is going to wait till I get my new PC ..

Yeah, I figured as such. Wasn't trying to pry or anything, but another thing to consider is alot of Dell PC's, especially that one you have (I think anyways) has a 533mhz FSB. That would also effect your speed!

kcnychief said:
Yeah, I figured as such. Wasn't trying to pry or anything, but another thing to consider is alot of Dell PC's, especially that one you have (I think anyways) has a 533mhz FSB. That would also effect your speed!

It is 533 fsb .. I plan on buying a new one here soon. I will be pretty much loaded. I'm thinking about getting a shuttle pc :)

Johnny said:
I used it MS Anti-spy prior to using counterspy, I never had it affect the usage of PowerDVD. PowerDVD won't install properly while MS Anti-spy is running, so I had to close it, install PowerDVD, then run PowerDVD for the first time and after I was able to keep MS Anti-spy open and had no more problems with PowerDVD.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back