Good bye DSL - You flipping suck !

Johnny

.. Commodore ..
Political Access
I called today and took the plunge to get my cable internet back. I am so sick of this dsl - I can't get rid of it fast enough ....

My new connection is only going to be 20 meg, but I can upgrade later. Right now I have 3 meg. So the diff is quite substantial :)

unfortunately, DSL is a pain. I feel your anger towards it. I really dont have a choice at the moment, Have Comcast but had to switch to a lower tier to save some $$$.

This country needs to open up more options and an affordable price.

I agree with you tdinc. The monopolizing that is going on with some of these companies is just crazy.

You guys don't know how good you have it! I'm stuck with either dialup or satellite (which I have), at CAD$59.99 a month for 512kbps down / 128kbps up with the crappiest fair-usage policy you ever did see. It's all automated, and they won't give proper figures, so somewhere around the 100mb per hour mark it just cuts the connection. They claim it should just halve the speed, but 90% of the time it just turns on and off constantly and slows down to ~1kbps, not even worth trying to use.

My new connection is only going to be 20 meg, but I can upgrade later.

I hate the midwest. Fastest connection I've ever had was 10 meg. This was around $55/month and when I lived in the middle of nowhere. I move to Fargo the fastest they offer is 7 meg for $80 per. I'm in the middle tier now, 5meg for $50 per. I can't complain, in my home town the phone company owns the cable company. The only option is DSL, fastest package is 1.5 meg and is $80. They used to charge that for the 768 package. The basic DSL is $40 for 256.

I do fell for you, bs. That is pathedic.

From what I am hearing; verizon will be fazing out dsl when they get fiber completely rolled out. Which will be about a 100 years from now ..

God how i wish I lived in verizon/FIOS territory..

I am pretty happy with my cable.
Not sure I want/need to pay the extra 10 dollars a month for the faster tier.

I have 10mbps cable internet in Toronto for $55 a month with a monthly 95 GB transfer limit before paying overage fees. If I wanted to pay close to $100 a month, I could get 18mbps...with the same 95 GB transfer. Considering I came from the U.S. Midwest, where you'd get 768 kbps DSL for $40 a month, which only became available about 2-3 years prior--that's it--I'm fairly content with what I have now.

Goddamn. I wonder what I'd even do with that? How nice, though--especially the upload speed! What's the faster tier anyway?

You have the 50 meg with pwerboost? That is what I want, but I am not going to get it right away.

You have the 50 meg with pwerboost? That is what I want, but I am not going to get it right away.

No, that would be the faster tier that I do not want to pay for and would require a DOCSIS 3.0 modem.

I have the Blast tier which is supposed to be:
Downloads speeds up to 20 Mbps with PowerBoost and upload speeds up to 4 Mbps with PowerBoost

Then there is the Ultra tier:
Downloads speeds up to 30 Mbps with PowerBoost and upload speeds up to 5 Mbps

And the Extreme tier:
download speeds up to 50 Mbps and upload speeds up to 10 Mbps

Ultra and Extreme are DOCSIS 3 and require you to rent the modem from Comcast as you can not yet buy a modem retail.

your speedtest is reporting 80meg/10meg though :)

Look at it again as it says kb which is kilobits not kB which is kilobytes.

I think I have 16/2 but it goes higher with powerboost.

To translate to Megabytes:

83635 kb/s = 10.21 MB/s
9445 kb/s = 1.15 MB/s

So on that test my conection was a bit slower then it should be.

thanx for clearing that up, az. I can't wait to get my 20 meg this wednesday :)

Look at it again as it says kb which is kilobits not kB which is kilobytes.

I think I have 16/2 but it goes higher with powerboost.

To translate to Megabytes:

83635 kb/s = 10.21 MB/s
9445 kb/s = 1.15 MB/s

So on that test my conection was a bit slower then it should be.

yes so thats showing 80mbit down 10mbit up which is faster than the 20/4 that you quoted.

Do pay attention...

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back