good bandwidth but low ping?

fantasi

My Yngy is My HoneY!
ok heres the deal, i used to get good piing in cs, maybe round 40-60. then recently maybe in the past 2 weeks, it gets to 200 like almost everytime, i have used bandwidth monitor pro to check but nothings downloading. ive read somewhere that more bandwidth doesnt mean better ping, say a 256/128 connection is a bit slower then a 512/128 connection. but not double. Ok i got that part, but why is my ping so crap. how does ping work in relation to speed? also is there any programs or emm readmes to tweak for best ping time. i miss my cs... :(

well are you playing on the same CS server all the time, if so it could very well be there end and not yours, also depends where in the country you are and if you have cable or dsl?

plus i think it was just spring break, so it could have been more players playing on certain servers, do you have other online games you play and if so what pings do you get with them?

emm ive got 512/128 adsl. and i play on the same servers. well i did try ping -t www.zcts.net which is my isp, i get back like 500ping, while i ping another webpage which is like another state away and it gets back to me as 250ms. does tha tmean my isp sucks? cuz it didnt use to be like this.

it very well be your isp, perhaps they are servicing more clients than they can handle right now. Or as you are using the same CS servers could be their end also.

Plus i notice you use ADSL, i used that in england and although they say its dedecated, it is not, you may be sharing a pipeline with up to 50 people. And depending on your distance to the exchange you may find that that makes a difference also, the exhange may be going through an upgrade and/or more adsl cards may have been added creating a further burden.

Perhaps there is a BT broadband person here that could explain it better. but in short this is what i think has happened.

Exchange upgrade to eithe rmore users with existing hardware, less bandwidth for all.
OR
The isp you use has overloaded the client capacity through greed on their servers and cannot cope with demand, you could ask them if they've taken on more clients than normal recently. But dont expect much.

Short of changing ISPs i don't there is anything you can do or that the isp will be willing to do.

I think you're getting confused about download speed (bandwidth) and the delay in the signal (latency).
From what I understand, latency is affected by the distance between the server where the CS game is hosted to the ISP and to my machine at home. And as mentioned by lancer the contention ratio or number of people sharing the same resource as you.

ok, just formated my pc to see if its indeed my hardware. emm yup still the same. i have a screen shot of my adsl modem if it makes any sense to youz. its getting to the pointwhere i want to change isp's but they were good before. anyone know anything i can do hardware wise or program wise that can check latency checks. like if theres a loss of packets some where.

Attachments

• ss_dlink.gif
    ss_dlink.gif
    74 KB · Views: 144
Try doing a trace route to your favorite CS server and see what you get. The command is: tracert ip

If you got a ping of 500 msec to your ISP they are screwed up big time. My ping to swbell is 11-14 msec.

What Lancer said is all correct. CALL YOUR ISP and raise HELL! Generally DSL has a ping of 80 to most servers and sites.

Go to www.dslreports.com.
-See what people say about your ISP.
-Run their speed check.
-Get a trouble report and use it when you scream at your crappy ISP.
-Also there could be a problem with the signal from the switching station to your home.

Lancer. Based on the experience of myself and my gaming buddies the USA and Canadian DSL providers are way better than BT for bandwidth, ping and service (price sucks).

yeah they are i used verizon in the states, it wasn't too bad, but comcast 4mps beats the **** out of them.

ok finally...after 2 weeks of writing to my isp. they have solved it. :/ well they didnt tell me why but emm yea i formated pc bla bla bla...and it wasnt even my side...thx anwyasy guys hehe ^^

With my old cable modem, I had a ping of 14ms to my ISP, 16-20 to good game servers.

Ping times are one of those things that are hard to pin down. You can have a 10Mb connection and still get horrible ping times depending on who you are pinging.
Really, you need to do a tracert and/or pingpath to identify where along the line of hops the latency is being introduced. It could be your ISP, the server you're pinging, or another entity in between the 2.
If the pingpath reveals that the latency is coming from inside your ISP's network, that's when you can raise some hell. If it's coming from the backbone servicing them, or the ISP servicing the server you're hitting, there's nothing you can do.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back