Good AGP 4/8x video card and cpu needed

wingman411

OSNN Senior Addict
I want to get a new video card for my wife's computer. We don't play games on it, but do some dvd burning and watching dvds. She has a SIS 64 mb 315 card in there now and I want to upgrade her to a 128 or 256 card.

I don't care if it is ATI based or Gforce or whatever only want to stay under $80 us if possible. I saw so many cards on newegg that fit the bill but I want your opinion on what is the most bang for the buck w/ good quality and reliability.

The processor is a 900Mz Duron and she has 512mb of pc133 ram. I am also considering upgrading her processor as it can take up to a 1500 athlon cpu and then switch to 512 of ddr 2700 ram as the board has 4 slots depending on the processor installed. If there is a reliable place to get a athlon 1400 or 1500 cpu let me know. Or, if anyone has an old one laying around that they would sell or give me I would pay the shipping.

Thanks.

Hey wing,

Just recently did a massive upgrade on my wife's computer. We both game so her upgrade was quite expensive anyway here are a few websites you can go to they have good bargains, while allowing you to shop for what you need.
www.tigerdirect.com
www.pricewatch.com
www.newegg.com

Any one of these websites will work, and I used all 3 to upgrade wife's computer. Tiger usually has the best deals, however price and newegg can be just as good. Good Luck and happy upgrading :)

Tharen

Anything over 1000 was a power pig (by the standards in those days) so you will need an improved heatsink fan for the CPU. They were noisy high speed units. Stay at 1200 or below. I thought I had a 1200 lying around but could not find it.

I think there is a Frye's in Seattle. They have modern XP MB/CPU combos for $80 every week or so. Consider that as an alternative. Finding a reliable XP1200 and HSF for it may cost as much.

There is nothing between $50 and $120 that I would buy. My best advice would be find a used 9800 PRO or 6600GT. They are both in the sub $80 range and good cards.

I did find 2x64MB PC100, 1x128MB PC100, 1x256MB PC100 DIMMs. A 900 Duron, a 450-K6 and a 333 Cyrix PII class processor with their ancient MBs are in the trash now. I need to clean out the junk box more than once a decade.

Last edited:

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back