I'm using from my old PC:

nVidia Ti 4600 128 mb graphics card
2 x 40 GB HDDs at 133 & 100 ATA
Creative labs 4.1 soundcard
Lite-on CDRW/DVD rom
3.5" FDD
The Case

Any tips on the build?

One thing I was thinking of already was the cpu/heatsink. The heat sink appears to have a sticky patch already on it. But I bought some coolermaster heat compound. Should I try and remove the sticky but from the heat sink? If so how?

Mubbers

Definetly scrape off the patch on the heatsink, just use a small piece of plastic or something like that.
Otherwise, thats one hell of a system you got there!

better make sure I get the power connections right :D

Bit of a FUBAR...

That memory advertised as 1GB ram (small print twin 512mb) well it's 2 512mb sticks, thus I have FOUR sticks when I thought I was getting TWO. MOBO has three slots. GGRRRRRRR!

I did consider the "twin 512" and believed this meant it was doubled sided with 512 on each side.

Ahem.

new build

Just out of interest what is the power of the PSU in the old case?.

230 Watts Trackrat

Hehe nice try Taggert, I'll see if I can return it 1st ;)

Mubbers said:
230 Watts

hmmm, you might want to consider beefing that up a bit - between the P4, 3x (4 :p) sticks of RAM, and the dual HDD, vid card, etc... that 230 isn't going to be enough :eek:

you might get away with it - but I don't think it would be safe to even try

Actually I lied it's 250W is that still not enough, if not what should I go up to?

I'm checking out 450W PSUs that are designed for P4 etc. fairly cheap.

Anything from 350 watts on up is yer best bet to be safe. You may get by with a 300 watt but... Ya don't want to overwork that PSU...
Just remember, once ya let the smoke out of it you can never get in back in.
tongue.gif

I've got a very fine mosquito net would that work? :p

lol sounds like it's gona be a dead nice system :D

Great specs! Congrats!
grin.gif

And I agree...you're better off going for at least a 350W PSU. 400-450W should be your best bets though...just to allow for future additions.

thas gona b one sweet system..have fun with it..wish i had tha kinda $$$ right now lol..definatly upgrade the psu..250 is not enough for sure..

so you spent all kinds of money on that system and you didnt even invest in a board that can do decent dual channel ddr capabilities? wtf were you thinking. screw returning the ram, return the motherboard and get a better one.

errr... watts really doesnt matter... its all about the voltages and quality-

u'll learn if u buy a cheapo generic 450watt ^_^

Dude, the Asus P4800 Deluxe is not a bad mobo... just cuz it only has three slots means nothing... every nForce 2 motherboard made only has 3 slots! and it's a good dual channel setup

well in any event. let me know what you paid and we'll talk. i'll be more than happy, to give you a "refund". just translate it into american dollars for me lol.

Goatman said:
Dude, the Asus P4800 Deluxe is not a bad mobo... just cuz it only has three slots means nothing... every nForce 2 motherboard made only has 3 slots! and it's a good dual channel setup

"dude", if it only has three slots... then it cant be a good dual channel setup, good setups are going to have equal physical support for each channel... 3 slots = technically a 1.5 channel setup...

edit/ wow, that came off alot more ass-like than I thought, so sorry... (dont drink and type dont drink and type)

The Nforce2 set up with 3 slots IS a dual channel system, but it can only support up to 2 Gigs in Dual Channel mode usually. It's one memory channel per stick. I have seen dual channel set ups with 4 slots, but those are usually on p4 and AMD64 boards

Members online

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back