Gone in 2 minutes: Mac gets hacked first in contest

Apple needs to get better at security. They need to start showing they are serious about vulnerabilities in their products, and that they will fix them within a reasonable time span.

Apple does not yet have a head of security, or a Chief Security Officer and it is about time they start doing so. I am not surprised that this year they went after the Mac OS X target. There is one problem with Safari I know of that allows me to do a local Denial of Service by having Safari hang at a 100% CPU time.

The title for this thread is misleading. The exploit was used on the second day. This was definitely something that was studied ahead of time, whereas last time the researcher found the flaw that night when they heard the rules would change the next day!

What vulnerabilities?

Don't their ads say they are much more secure than other (read Microsoft) solutions?

:eek:

What is this world coming to when you can't rely on the information that Steve Jobs tells us?

What vulnerabilities?

Don't their ads say they are much more secure than other (read Microsoft) solutions?

:eek:

What is this world coming to when you can't rely on the information that Steve Jobs tells us?

The same way we can't trust Microsoft when it says Vista sales are going as planned.

they are businesses you cant trust a bloody thing any of them say, hardly likely to say "our products are full of holes" or "things aren't going the way we would like" or that "our stuff is crap" (wait no ratners did do that and he lost his business)

Seriously, when did marketing ever provide the truth about anything? Cracks me up.

T'was sarcasm but alas some people do not recognize such things :)

T'was sarcasm but alas some people do not recognize such things :)

Don't worry, I got the sarcasm, but I have seen basically the same thing in other threads written in complete seriousness. :)

And the contest is over.

The Vista system was next to go due to a 3'rd party exploit through Flash or Java or something. Per the grapevine, this vulnerability was available in both the Ubuntu and Vista systems but the hackers preferred the Vista machine so chose to employ the exploit on that machine instead of the Ubuntu box :)

The good news is that the OS's were not hacked. The bad news is, an out of the box Macintosh system is less secure than a Vista or Ubuntu system.

Vista and Ubuntu required 3'rd party vulnerabilities to show any potential flaws, with Vista dropping first. Good news for Microsoft Operating systems I guess.

As I mentioned before, I am craving the new holier-than-thou ads on websites and on tv touting Apple's superiority.

http://www.dailytech.com/article.aspx?newsid=11299

And the contest is over.

The Vista system was next to go due to a 3'rd party exploit through Flash or Java or something. Per the grapevine, this vulnerability was available in both the Ubuntu and Vista systems but the hackers preferred the Vista machine so chose to employ the exploit on that machine instead of the Ubuntu box :)

The good news is that the OS's were not hacked. The bad news is, an out of the box Macintosh system is less secure than a Vista or Ubuntu system.

Vista and Ubuntu required 3'rd party vulnerabilities to show any potential flaws, with Vista dropping first. Good news for Microsoft Operating systems I guess.

As I mentioned before, I am craving the new holier-than-thou ads on websites and on tv touting Apple's superiority.

http://www.dailytech.com/article.aspx?newsid=11299
I say let there be another test of os security without exploiting third party apps

this however is not fair either since pc comes with bundles but I want to see how secure these os's are anyway

I say let there be another test of os security without exploiting third party apps

this however is not fair either since pc comes with bundles but I want to see how secure these os's are anyway

In that case, the Vista and Ubuntu boxes would have remained unhacked.

Ubuntu also has a lot of items pre-installed, but keep in mind java/flash is typically a 3'rd party install for both.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back