Going wireless , need your help.

homesick1337

Computer Lover
I am planning to go wireless. The reason being is I am to lazy to drill a hole to my wall for my 2nd computer.

Currently I use a network switch to connect my PS2, XBOX , PC and misc things. I own 2 ips also.

I choose a switch over a router because I heard you loose some of your connection speed with a router or hub. So I choose a switch instead.

Now I am online looking at COMPUSA seeing its a local store in my area and totally confused.

1. What wireless setup along with card should I buy?
2. Will a router loose any of my bandwidth ?
3. Any drawbacks to using a router ?
4. Will some of my programs like Mirc? Games, and norton firewall have problems?
5. Any flaws to going wireless?

Any help would be appreciated.

BTW below is the link to Compusa linkseys section i was browsing thru.

http://www.compusa.com/products/products.asp?N=200713+401503&Ne=400000&CusaA=a&CusaNe=200139

1. I would get a Linksys wireless router with 4-port switch. That way you can still run Ethernet to your PS2, X-BOX etc. and be on a switched network. As for the card, are you needing a PCI wireless NIC for a desktop? I don't really have a preference as far as those go.

2. A switch directs packets to the specific machine that the packets are destined for. A router simply sends the packets out in every direction and the intended machine uses them. You won't lose any significant amount of bandwidth by using a router, so I wouldn't worry about it.

3. The only drawback I can think of is an inexperienced user trying to configure one. But a bit of time in the manual is all it really takes. The admin setup for the Linksys routers is great.

4. As long as the router isn't blocking a needed port (for a game or something), then you shouldn't have any problems. Also, you won't have to run a software firewall since you're behind a router.

5. No flaws really. It's cheap, convenient and expandable. I'd do it if I were you. :)

There might be small differences in opinion as far as recommended hardware, brands, etc. But I doubt that anyone would give reason for you not to go wireless. The technology is here to stay and adoption by the majority is really starting to increase.

I am confused so I would be running a router and a switch together? How would I connect that?

I.E cable modem to switch to router? Im totally confused.

Is there a such thing as a wireless switch?

Should I go 802.11g? or B?

Could I still run my firewall and have a router?

Also any chance if you could point out wich one to buy from the URL i pasted? Im totally confused when it comes to wireless networking.

As for the PC that will be wireless. My consoles will not be wireless.

Thank You,

Sorry for the confusion. The Linksys wireless router with 4-port switch is all one unit. The switched part of the network is only over the Ethernet cables, and the wireless is the router part.
http://www.linksys.com/products/product.asp?grid=33&scid=35&prid=625

I would go ahead and get 802.11g since it is much faster and you won't need to upgrade as soon.

Yes, you could still run your software firewall with the router in place.

I'll take a look at the CompUSA site and post back...

Ahh...ok now it makes a lot more sense, thanks for the help. I plan to hit up compusa tommorow and pick up what I need.

I think I only need a router and card.

As for 802.11b vs G is it a big difference seeing I don't really send files to my other computers ever and its just for my cable modem to be used on my comp upstairs.

I'd say if $30.00 is significant for you, then just go with the 802.11b model. I'd recommend the G if you're going to be using both computers and one of your gaming systems all online at once. Otherwise, the B model should be fine for what you need.

Does that router come with a card? I assume not from reading the specs. Any chance you tell me wich card to buy for my PC?

Yeah, definitely go with Linksys. You might want to take a look at the new Linksys Wireless G with Speedboost. They claim it's 35% faster then regular Wireless G. I have yet to test it out myself though.

the speed boost opens up multiple bandwidth lines, which is fine if no other networks are around you. As far as the gaming when you configure the router just push the game computer to the DMZ this will keep it open unless you know the specific ports to open it up. If you are coming from a cable modem go wtih the g. :)

Thanks a lot everyone for the help I plan to pick up my router maybe this friday. Your help has been greatly appreciated.

well i was gona add my comments, but they've given you all you need to know :cool: the linksys routers are VERY good and easy to configure, i have one myself and absolutly love it :D

homesick1337 said:
Thanks a lot everyone for the help I plan to pick up my router maybe this friday. Your help has been greatly appreciated.

Reputation points!? :D (check my signature)

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back