Going long-range, wireless?

ming

OSNN Advanced
Hi,

I would like to ask all those with experience of wireless networks whether it's possible to create a network between two points at just under 0.5 miles away.
In addition to this, would I be able to create the wireless network if there are buildings (maybe one or two rows of terraced houses) cutting across the path of the two points?

What would I need in order to get it done?

I was thinking of getting a Netgear DG824 and possibly the antenna that fits it. It's suppose to have a range of upto 0.5 miles, but does not mention anything about direct line of sight or anything like it.

what enyo said, you would be looking @ satellites conecting them or sumin.

Originally posted by ming
Hi,

I would like to ask all those with experience of wireless networks whether it's possible to create a network between two points at just under 0.5 miles away.
In addition to this, would I be able to create the wireless network if there are buildings (maybe one or two rows of terraced houses) cutting across the path of the two points?

you can install bridges between the 2 points to amplify the signal and keep signal strength to a degree...

you do not need line of sight but objects in the way can cut down signal strength.. depending on what it is.. quite significantly even :)

you CAN get a max range on most products of 300-500 yards outside... I would stick to around the 300 yd mark...

why are you doing this btw.. if you don't mind me asking?

Re: Re: Going long-range, wireless?

Originally posted by Sazar
you can install bridges between the 2 points to amplify the signal and keep signal strength to a degree...

you do not need line of sight but objects in the way can cut down signal strength.. depending on what it is.. quite significantly even :)

you CAN get a max range on most products of 300-500 yards outside... I would stick to around the 300 yd mark...

why are you doing this btw.. if you don't mind me asking?

you can say experimenting?! lol
want to link up a wireless network with a friend, since he's planning on creating a wireless network at home too.

wah.. that dish looks heavy!! :p
was looking at the Netgear ANT24. :)

I just love marketing...

10 miles range now read the small print underneath

* Range estimation is based on two wireless nodes each with an ANT24D18 antenna attached, a NETGEAR 3 m low-loss antenna cable, 10 dBI link budget margin, associating wtih each other at 11 Mbps under ideal line-of-sight conditions.

Ideal line of sight = no buildings, no RF emitters(cells, CB, etc.), no rain, no birds, no trees, etc.

Futher qualifiers:
Note: To obtain optimal results in extending wireless range with antenna installations, it is recommended that a qualified professional installer is consulted for site survey and proper installation.

To comply with FCC rules the ANT24O5 antenna should only be used with devices that have been FCC approved for use with the ANT24O5. Please check the NETGEAR web site at http://www.NETGEAR.com/go/antennas_fcc for an updated list of FCC approved devices.

For EU, use of any antenna requires careful planning and extra consideration to comply with EU emissions and health standards and regulations. It is ecommended that a qualified professional installer service is consulted for site survey and proper installation. Antenna installation must comply with the maximum level authorized by each country.

Legal Note:

The antennas are only legal in the US when used with FCC approved access pints and cabling.

Price tag for the cheapest approved set up is:
2x125+2x45 + 2x83 = $506
(2 access points, 2 antenna, 2 -30' cables)

Using the high gain antenna adds $310 for a total of $816. The high gain antenna would be a must because of the structures in between the sites.

Kinda pricey for LAN gaming, or even illegally sharing an internet connection...

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back