Gnome 2.6 Beta Release

NetRyder

Tech Junkie
A development/beta release of 2.6 was just made public a few days ago. The expected date for the final release is about March 22nd, so we can probably expect to see it sometime towards the end of the month.

Until then, here's a great preview of all the new goodies :)
http://www.ilug-cal.org/GNOME-2.6/GNOME_2_6.html

Looks awesome, in my opinion (just imagine it being Aqua-fied :D). I'm very curious to try the new "spatial" Nautilus...drag and drop galore! The new file selector looks really convenient too.

Todd from Dropline Systems plans to release a version of Dropline Gnome based on 2.6 sometime later as well, so that should make the transition for us Slackware users nice and smooth. Very cool
icon14.gif

Looks great. Maybe with a new release of Gnome, I can dig deeper and finally try to fix my Metacity problem.

Dropline GNOME 2.6.0-test1 is now available. Just updated my copy two days ago. Nautilus, and Gnome in general appear more responsive. The new file selector is awesome. Nautilus has gone spatial and takes a while to get used to, but once you get a feel for it, you can really understand the true power of drag-and-drop.

Check it out
smile.gif
A final release is scheduled for later this month, although the current test release seems *very* stable as far as I can tell.

Here goes...

It looks like we have a very stable system so far, but I'd still like some testing done before a release. A *lot* has changed since Dropline GNOME 2.4.3, including the GNOME Desktop, XFree86's replacement by X.org, the forced-removal of libiconv, and a completely new build system. I'm also toying with different distribution systems, so I'm making this release available via BitTorrent. You download the ISO and either mount it locally or burn it to CD, then use the Dropline Installer (with the source media set to CD-ROM) to install/upgrade as usual.

A few things to note:
- I'm still playing with the artwork and font choices; I haven't settled on anything yet, but input on the current choices is still welcome.
- Mime types haven't all been hooked up yet. If you come across a mime type that isn't working, please post about it so we can get it fixed before the final release.
- Most libraries have been built with --disable-static. X.org, however, continues to keep its static libraries.
- There are a lot of new applications, and some old ones have been removed. Xmms is gone--Beep is in. Gedit has a nice HTML/PHP mode, so Bluefish is also out. gnome-audio has never been terribly nice-sounding, so it's been removed as well. Lots of the gstreamer plugins weren't getting used by *anything* DLG related, so I took them out too. Please post if you find an application or library missing.

http://www.dropline.net/forums/viewtopic.php?t=2262

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back