Gmail accounts available -- by phone?

muzikool

Act your wage.
Political Access
Anyone notice the main Gmail page (where you login) has a link to open an account using your mobile phone?

https://www.google.com/accounts/SmsMailSignup1

It doesn't appear that you can create an account manually through the web site, so it's just a cell phone based deal right now. I guess it's just available in the U.S. for now.

People without cellphones or those outside the US can still receive email invitations from friends/family like before.

Right, but this seems like the first step in making Gmail openly available to the public. It's just that you can't sign-up in the traditional way.

Reasons why:

One of the reasons we are offering this new way to sign up for Gmail is to help protect our users and combat abuse. Spam and abuse protection are two things we take very seriously, and our users have been very happy with the small amount of spam they've received in their Gmail accounts. We take many measures to ensure that spammers have a difficult time sending their spam messages, getting these messages delivered, or even obtaining a Gmail account (spammers will often use many different accounts to send spam). Sending invitation codes to mobile phones via SMS is one way to address this, as the number of accounts per phone number can be limited.
We will use your phone number to send an invitation code in a text message to your phone. In doing so, we store each phone number to make sure it is used to create no more than 10 accounts.

In addition, if you choose to, we can save your mobile phone number in your Google account, so that you will be able to use it for upcoming Google mobile services like secure password recovery and SMS alerts.
:)

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back