Gigabyte Motherboard

LazyJames

OSNN Addict
I am working on building a new system, and i need a Amd Xp compatable mobo i am considering getting a Gigabyte 7DX+, but i dont know much about motherboards. Thought i would ask you guys for your expertise on this particular board or motherbaords in general. I have read alot about Abit, Asus and Soyo on the forums but have not seen much about Gigabyte. Anyway the advice would be appreciated.

This is the link to the Board

id go with a msi board or soyo or asus

i had msi kt3 ultra but had to change because I messed it up with too much case modding:)

the soyo im running now works flawlessy as did my msi until i broke it by not being careful:(

the soyo comes with tons of extras too many to list heres the link:

http://www.soyousa.com/products/proddesc.php?id=46

and the msi link:

http://www.msi.com.tw/program/products/mainboard/mbd/pro_mbd_detail.php?UID=11&MODEL=MS-6380E

as far as gigabyte boards, ive tried two of these with no avail:

http://www17.tomshardware.com/mainboard/02q2/020509/kt333-18.html

good luck on your decision

I agree, have a MSI K7T266, and works just fine. would get MSI or Asus.

:cool:

Naw...get Soyo Dragon ULTRA (make sure ULTRA not LITE)

Dragon's are awesome, the amount of on-board stuff they come with totals up to alot more than mobo+RAID+Sound (VERY good sound)+NIC+Silver or Black PCB etc...

The only thing Gigabyte has going for it on that 266 board is the AMD 761 North Bridge, which will get you better 3DMark score than a VIA 266, but has no competition forthe VIA KT333* on the Dragon.

*Dragon KT333 only, the Dragon 266 has the same package except it is the VIA 266a chipset, which may or may not be better than the AMD 761, if you absolutely want and AMD North Bridge, get an MSI 6341 with the AMD 762...

MSI is also good brand motherboards, I would say MSI KT3 over Soyo Dragon if the Dragon didn't get such good reviews, mainly because MSI has been producing quality products a long time before Soyo, but the Dragon Ultra comes with every one of the 4 available options on the MSI board, so it's really what you want vs performance etc.

i only got the soyo ultra platinum cuz it soo preeety:)

I love my GA-7VRX , it's the same as the 7-VRXP w/o the integrated stuff. I have no complaints and the speed is awesome. No stability problems either. Overall, it's a great board at a good price. I've heard it does have issues though, with a higher end video card. Seeing as how this is the last system I'll have for a while, that doesn't bother me. My next system will be a Hammer based system. That'll be a couple years down the road. This'll satisfy me for now!

*cough* cpk *cough* dont say that, thats why we all get it, we just say that we want the RAID because some people dont understand about the purty colors:D

mines platinum:) and it dissipates heat cuz of it...lol...whatever

I guess i should have mentioned that i am building this PC on a budget basically meaning i am almost broke. Anyway i realy like the soyo dragon Ultra (platinum edition) but then again who wouldn't. Is it worth shelling out a few extra bucks for it or should i just settle for something a little cheaper.

msi kt3 ultra cheaper......worked perfect for me till i broke it:(
epox another one that worked perfect
nah i dont think soyo ultra plat is worth it....but i didnt care:)..lol

Problem with Gigabyte??? UofEEE...

UofEEE, you said: I love my GA-7VRX ,....I've heard it does have issues though, with a higher end video card.

I have the GA-7VRXP and a PNY GeForce4 4400ti. I have issues with the computer locking up EVERY time I go into 3D, and sometimes when I don't. What else do you know about this problem? I've applied all new drivers, stripped the mobo of add-ons (not running usb, sound) to no avail. Resolved all IRQ conflicts with the card.

Thanks,

SD

Gigabyte GA-7VRXP
Kingston 256 MB PC2100
PNY GeForce4 4400Ti
CL SoundBlaster Live 5.1
Maxtor 80 MB
On Board Ethernet
AMD Athlon XP 2100+
Thunderbird Volcano 7
300 Watt

Re: Problem with Gigabyte??? UofEEE...

Originally posted by Gorm Laben
UofEEE, you said: I love my GA-7VRX ,....I've heard it does have issues though, with a higher end video card.

I have the GA-7VRXP and a PNY GeForce4 4400ti. I have issues with the computer locking up EVERY time I go into 3D, and sometimes when I don't. What else do you know about this problem? I've applied all new drivers, stripped the mobo of add-ons (not running usb, sound) to no avail. Resolved all IRQ conflicts with the card.

Up your core voltage and agp voltage. Some have gotten it to be stable that way. However, I think the board is missing a capacitor...that's why the voltages are all screwed up. Try ViaArena.com and search the Gigabyte forum. You'll find some others there in your situation. I think they may have solved the problem, but you may have to RMA your mobo....

Thanks for all the advice, i think i will go with the MSI seems to be a good board at a good price so it should work out fine. Even though its not the platinum color as the Soyo i guess i can live with it :D

msi good choice.....wish i still had mine....easier flashing the bios with their utility than the soyo...

I had some issues with my Gigabyte board too (a 7dx tho) when I got the GF4 4400. It would lock up at various times, mostly when running 3d stuff. I Tried all sorts of stuff: resolving IRQ conflicts, drivers (beta and official), even underclock the video. Seemed to get better once I did a BIOS update. Funny thing: the release notes about the update said nothing of an AGP fix, oh well. My system has been lock-up-free since then. Is there a BIOS update for your board? If so, I'd try it. If not, then I dunno.

I too have the GA7-DX+ and it's a rock solid board and cheaper than some. It's not an overclockers board though you could get some modest o/c done ,if that way inclined.
The Dual Bios features of this and other Gigabyte boards is well useful.
I,m using a Tbird 1400 currently but will change to an XP 2000
soon, having upped the bios through F4 to F6:cool:

Originally posted by LazyJames
I am working on building a new system, and i need a Amd Xp compatable mobo i am considering getting a Gigabyte 7DX+, but i dont know much about motherboards. Thought i would ask you guys for your expertise on this particular board or motherbaords in general. I have read alot about Abit, Asus and Soyo on the forums but have not seen much about Gigabyte. Anyway the advice would be appreciated.

This is the link to the Board
Gigabyte just released the new Rev. 2.0 version of the 7VRX(P) and this fixes the onboard volatge problems. (supposedly), so kids, time to RMA those mobos!

Yeah, great idea - i'd love too, BUT

Gigabyte in the Uk claims to know NOTHING about this issue, yet Gigabyte in the US seems to be handing out RMA's like there no tomorrow.

Also, DABS the ***** that they are refure to take my board back because its an "Incompatability issue" and not a Fault.

Which REALLY ***** me off...

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back