Gigabyte Mobos & new builds...

Originally posted by 50cal
ok ill look around for dip switches on the mobo. does anyone know anything about this specific mobo. gigabyte GA-7VA .
looking at the online pdf manual for it, it doesn't seem to have a multiplier value to change, just fsb speed. :confused:

so am i screwed or how can i overclock this thing to wring some more horse power out of it?

so am i screwed or how can i overclock this thing to wring some more horse power out of it?
in terms of overclocking, i'd say you're screwed. it has no dip switches or bios controls to change the multiplier. the 7VA is on the very budget end of gigabyte's kt400 lineup. the more expensive and feature-rich 7VAX and 7VAXP have multiplier adjustments.

actually, looking at your manual, you could overclock by just increasing the frontside bus (fsb). it looks like you have a seperate pci/agp clock value and you can just leave that at stock speed (33/66). try increasing your cpu's fsb a little at a time (105, 108, 110, etc).

Ok thanks, ill give that a try see what happens. How much do i dare go?

Ok thanks, ill give that a try see what happens. How much do i dare go?
"try increasing your cpu's fsb a little at a time (105, 108, 110, etc)."

just do that with 10-20 mins of benchmarking/stress testing in between each bump until it becomes unstable. at which point you can put it back a notch, or bump up the cpu core voltage one notch and go back to moving the frequency up and see how much farther you get. watch your temps, though. frequency and voltage increases have a direct effect on the heat it generates.

thanks tauras for your help i will try that and see what i get.:)

thanks tauras for your help i will try that and see what i get.:)
no problem. let us know what you get up to.

well im gonna look like an idiot, but i was told that the earlier athlons where already unlocked......:eek: .in my bioes there isnt the option to adjust the multiplyer and there doesnt seem to be any dip swithes on the board to change that either, unless i am totaly overlooking them.
My machine is running i would just like the option to overclock it a bit if i have those options at all......
thanks 50cal
load BIOS, and press CTRL+F1 - just remembered about that key combo to unlock hidden features in bios.

well i can give that a try to, why would they hide some of the features anyways?

well i can give that a try to, why would they hide some of the features anyways?
i only recall one manufacturer hiding features on some of it's boards. i don't remember if it was gigabyte or not. they hide the features that allow people to do potential damage to their motherboard/cpu. and since you can already do that already, i don't think you have anything hidden. ;)

damn , why did i buy a cheap ass mobo for? well prolly cause i was broke at the time but damn!!:(

damn , why did i buy a cheap ass mobo for? well prolly cause i was broke at the time but damn!!:(
it's still of good quality. just lacking some features. :eek:
have you tried the fsb thing yet?

Thanks taurus, no i havent tried yet been to busy. but i hope to try it over the thanksgiving holiday. ill let you know what i get up to. thanks for your help.;)
anything else you can enlighten me on this board would be great if there is anything to enlight................lol.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest profile posts

Also Hi EP and people. I found this place again while looking through a oooollllllldddd backup. I have filled over 10TB and was looking at my collection of antiques. Any bids on the 500Mhz Win 95 fix?
Any of the SP crew still out there?
Xie wrote on Electronic Punk's profile.
Impressed you have kept this alive this long EP! So many sites have come and gone. :(

Just did some crude math and I apparently joined almost 18yrs ago, how is that possible???
hello peeps... is been some time since i last came here.
Electronic Punk wrote on Sazar's profile.
Rest in peace my friend, been trying to find you and finally did in the worst way imaginable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
naeemsafi
Back